It’s so quick and easy to make too! All you need is the Instant Pot, ground meat and broccoli slaw. (As well as spices and chicken stock or other liquid for the cooking process…)
Why This Recipe Works
Everyone loves the taste of a good egg roll. They are a favorite takeout appetizer. It’s one of the most popular dishes ordered at Chinese American restaurants.
But being deep fried, they aren’t exactly the healthiest choice. That’s why in this Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe, we took all the inside components of an egg roll and serve it in a bowl rather than in a deep-fried wonton. It’s much healthier this way and just as delicious!
Using the Instant Pot to make this meal allows it to be prepared in one pot. It also ensures that it cooks evenly and quickly, so it’s ready to go to your dinner table that much faster!
Ground beef – I recommend using a lean ground beef—around 90% or higher. Unless you are on a keto diet, in which case you may want to use a higher fat percentage. You can also substitute ground pork for a more traditional take on egg rolls.
Rice vinegar – also known as rice wine vinegar. This ingredient is used in a lot of Asian recipes, if you don’t have any, I think it’s worth getting a bottle as the flavor cannot easily be replicated.
Chicken stock – you can also use beef stock or veggie stock, or even water in a pinch.
Toasted sesame oil – the toasted version is darker and has a stronger flavor, so make sure you use toasted sesame oil if possible.
Tamari – this sauce tastes just like soy sauce but is gluten free. You can also use regular soy sauce or coconut aminos—all have a similar flavor.
Cabbage slaw – I use shredded green cabbage with a bit of carrot in it when I can find it for some added color and nutrients.
How to Make Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl
Gather your ingredients:
Brown beef in Instant Pot on Saute. Add garlic powder, ginger powder, and tamari sauce.
Add in sesame oil, rice vinegar, and chicken broth. Stir well and cook on saute for 1 minute.
Turn off the Saute option. Add broccoli slaw or cabbage slaw over the meat. Do not stir.
Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button, or dial, then press the +/- button or dial to select 0 minutes (yes, zero). High pressure. As soon as the cooking cycle has ended, do a Quick Release of the pressure.
When the pin in the lid drops down, open the lid and give the mixture a good stir.
Serve and enjoy a healthy meal!
- You can use any type of ground meat in this recipe—pork, turkey, shredded chicken, and beef all work for this recipe. Pork is most traditionally used in egg roll filling. The cooking time will stay the same.
- Sometimes egg rolls have a bit of diced shrimp in them as well, so feel free to add some!
How to Serve Egg Roll in a Bowl
I love to serve these egg rolls in a bowl with a hefty drizzle of sriracha, but if you don’t like spicy food, feel free to leave that part out.
The other garnish that this dish calls for is sliced spring onions. You can also use green onions, or scallions, and it will taste the same. Spring onions have a slightly stronger flavor but both work wonderfully as a bright, vibrant garnish.
More Asian-Inspired Recipes
There are so many good Asian recipes that we’ve adapted to work in the Instant Pot. Try these next!
FAQ About Egg Roll in a Bowl
Does it contain eggs?
No. Although the name may indicate it contains eggs, this Instant Pot egg roll in a bowl recipe do not have any.
Still, you can add egg in it. Not during the cooking, but during the serving. Top the meal with hard boiled egg slices.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 3 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 14 oz cabbage slaw or broccoli slaw
- 2 sliced spring onions for serving
- 2 tsp sriracha for serving
- Add olive oil and saute ground beef until brown.
- Add garlic powder, ginger powder, and tamari sauce and stir well.
- Add sesame oil, rice vinegar and chicken broth and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add the cabbage slaw on top of the beef.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 0 minutes (yes, 0 minutes).
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid and stir well.
- Top with Sriracha and sliced spring onions and serve 🙂