This Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe is super quick and easy to prepare. The chicken is perfectly seasoned and full of flavor as well as being deliciously tender and moist.
I love cooking this recipe in big batches and storing it in the fridge or freezer, ready to be used at a later date.
Preparing this easy Instant Pot pulled chicken in advance will save you loads of time when cooking other Instant Pot dishes, as you’ll already have some on hand to use.
- What I Love About Cooking Chicken
- How to Cook Chicken in Instant Pot
- What Other Recipes Can I Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken With?
- How Do I Store Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Leftovers?
- Can I Use Frozen Chicken?
- Can I Freeze Cooked Instant Pot Shredded Chicken?
- How Do I Store My Instant Pot Shredded Chicken?
- What Part of the Chicken Can I Use?
- Sides Dishes to Serve with Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- What Seasoning Should I Use?
- How Do I Shred Chicken?
What I Love About Cooking Chicken
Chicken is a great, versatile bird. It’s high in protein and low in calories, meaning it’s perfect for many different diets such as keto diets, low-calorie diets, and meal prep recipe diets.
With loads of amino acids, chicken is also a very healthy protein that helps to build muscle and improve your normal bodily functions. It’s also gluten-free, making it suitable for gluten-free diets, too.
Chicken is really affordable and readily available in pretty much every grocery store across the United States.
I use chicken in soooo many of my Instant Pot recipes and I guarantee it ensures they all taste AMAZING.
How to Cook Chicken in Instant Pot
- Gather your ingredients.
- Add your chicken breasts, broth or water, and choice of seasoning to the pressure cooker.
- Secure the lid of your pot and close the pressure valve so as not to release any steam. Cook for 10 minutes at High Pressure.
- When cooking time ends, do a quick release of pressure by flicking off the release valve, allowing the steam to vent faster. If you want to perform a natural release of pressure, leave the crockpot for 5 to 10 minutes. The steam will release slower this way.
- Open the lid and shred the meat with two forks.
- Enjoy your Instant Pot shredded chicken.
What Other Recipes Can I Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken With?
You can make hundreds of different Instant Pot dishes with this slow cooker shredded chicken. This food is so popular and versatile that it appears in so many of my recipes.
Below are some of my favorite recipes to pair with pulled chicken breasts. These kinds of recipes are suitable for either your lunch or dinner course.
|Instant Pot Chicken Omelet||This recipe is brilliant for a hearty breakfast or healthy lunch. This omelet is packed with veggies and the colors are so vibrant. Using pulled chicken in this recipe distributes the elements more evenly across the omelet.|
|Instant Pot Chicken Dumplings||Dumplings are my absolute favorite snack. They’re like tiny wrapped presents, filled with deliciousness. Steaming dumplings in a crockpot creates an amazingly soft texture with a rich flavor, too. Making these chicken dumplings with my pulled chicken breast recipe allows you to fold more chicken into the dumpling wrappers so they’re far meatier.|
|Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken in Lettuce Wrap||In this recipe, you shred the chicken breasts after the cooking process anyway. So adding in your Instant Pot shredded chicken means less hassle and cook time in the final stages of the recipe.|
You can make this moo shu chicken recipe from the blog A girl worth saving.
You can also use this Instant Pot shredded chicken for pasta, salads, soups, and stir-fries. The possibilities are nearly endless!
Visit my website, Facebook, or Pinterest for all these recipes and more recipe ideas to make with this fantastic dish. I have something for everyone!
How Do I Store Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Leftovers?
You can keep your leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can also keep the chicken in the freezer for up to 1 month.
It’s easy to make big batches of shredded chicken in the Instant Pot pressure cooker that you won’t eat in just one sitting. Luckily, chicken keeps really well in either the fridge or the freezer so you can cook and store lots of it to use at later dates.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken?
In order to make shredded chicken, you can use fresh or frozen chicken breasts or thighs in this Instant Pot chicken recipe.
I recommend an addition of 3 to 4 minutes onto the original cooking time to ensure the frozen meat cooks all the way through.
Can I Freeze Cooked Instant Pot Shredded Chicken?
You can freeze this recipe for up to 1 month.
An ingenious way to freeze this chicken is in portioned batches. By doing this, you don’t have to defrost one big batch and cook it all in one go. This method of storing is great for meal prep.
Instead, you can take 1 or 2 portioned pulled chicken servings and use this to make one of my many chicken-based Instant Pot recipes.
How Do I Store My Instant Pot Shredded Chicken?
I recommend storing this crockpot shredded chicken in individual freezer bags or small, airtight storage containers.
Using either of these storage methods allows you to easily portion your pulled chicken for later use.
These methods also save space in the fridge and freezer by avoiding the use of one big bag or container.
What Part of the Chicken Can I Use?
You can use either chicken breasts or chicken thighs to cook this chicken recipe in the Instant Pot.
Chicken breasts have fewer calories so it is a leaner, healthier option.
Chicken thighs, although higher in calories, have a richer taste.
This instant pot shredded chicken recipe is totally up to your personal preference as to which option you use. Both chicken breasts and thighs cook for the same length of time and taste great.
You can also cook either cut of meat on or off the bone. Using boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs is less hassle and you don’t have to remove any element before shredding.
If you prefer to use bone-in chicken, make sure you’ve removed all of the bones before shredding the chicken.
Sides Dishes to Serve with Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
My most recommended side dishes to pair with your shredded chicken Instant Pot recipe are:
- Instant Pot Tomato Rice – It’s pressure cooked rice, but with a bit of extra flavor. Pairing with shredded chicken that’s been pressure cooked with Italian seasoning gives you tasty Italian-themed main dishes. You could also pair this dish with pulled chicken tacos.
- Instant Pot Zucchini Noodles – Zucchini noodles are a fantastic low carb alternative to pasta noodles. Pressure cook your Instant Pot chicken using Chinese 5 spice seasoning to create a healthy, Chinese noodle inspired dish.
- Instant Pot Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower – Roasted veggies are always a perfect complement to chicken. This is an excellent option if you’re counting calories, as this roasted broccoli and cauliflower are only 30 calories per portion! Add some slow cooker tomato salsa to make it saucier.
You can find many more side dish recommendations on my website, Facebook, and Pinterest.
What Seasoning Should I Use?
You can experiment with your chicken seasoning for this recipe.
Depending on which meals you are planning on combining the pulled chicken breasts with, your seasoning choice can vary.
Below are a few seasoning mix ideas that will complement a variety of cuisines. You’re going to be using around 1 teaspoon per herb or spice.
|Chinese 5 spice seasoning|
How Do I Shred Chicken?
One of the simplest ways to shred your cooked chicken is to use two forks and roughly pull the chicken apart.
After your pressure cooker has finished cooking, your chicken should be practically falling apart anyway, so it won’t take much effort to shred it up.
If you want, you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer to shred your chicken after it is finished pressure cooking in the pot.
To be honest, I think that using hand mixer to shred is a little unnecessary, as it creates more dishes to clean. However, this method might be worth it if you’ve made a particularly big portion.
I recommend shredding the chicken in some, if not all, of the liquid you used to pressure cook the food in. This way, the chicken will reabsorb some of the broth and seasoning, becoming further infused with that gorgeous taste.
My recommended shredding method also ensures that more of the chicken’s surface area is coated. Ultimately, you’re going to get the best results from shredding the chicken this way. Trust me.
- 1 pounds chicken breast
- 4 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve, and cook for 10 minutes at High Pressure.
- When cooking time ends, do a quick release pressure.
- Open the lid and shred the chicken with two forks.
- Serve on a plate and enjoy. :]