Instant Pot Mushroom Soup is the perfect vegetarian soup! The best part is that the mushrooms add a hearty and "meaty" flavor without actually having to add any meat.
If you want a fast and simple soup recipe that screams comfort, it's time to let the Instant Pot takeover and make dinner tonight. Every spoonful is full of mushroom goodness.
This is one of the best soups because it offers a hearty flavor without being heavy. This soup is like a perfect combination of broth and veggies.
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe works because it's easy and takes just 20 minutes to make. I love adding the fresh ingredients as well because they're healthy and give me fuel to power through the day.
- The Instant Pot cooks the mushrooms perfectly so that they're tender and delicious
- It makes a large portion to feed a crowd
- It's a great weeknight dinner to eat all week long
Butter – Use salted or unsalted butter, whatever you prefer.
Mushrooms – Choose absolutely any kind of mushroom that you want. Some of the best are cremini, shiitake, or porcini mushrooms. I also think that sliced portabello mushrooms would be amazing.
Chicken broth – Instant Pot Bone broth would be a great substitute as well.
Sherry – Find dry sherry that you like and sip on it while you cook.
Onion - Sliced red onion adds a great taste. You can use white onion as well.
How to Make Mushroom Soup
Gather up the list of ingredients and get started. Before you know it, this soup will be done and ready to enjoy.
Step One: Prep and slice the onion.
Step Two: Clean the mushrooms and slice them as evenly as possible.
Step Three: Turn on the Instant Pot and hit the saute button.
Step Four: Add 2 tablespoon of butter and the sliced onions into the Instant Pot and stir with a wooden spoon. After stirring, add the remaining 4 tablespoon of butter as well.
Step Five: Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
Step Six: Add 3 ¼ cups of chicken broth, 3 tablespoon of Sherry, black pepper to taste and ½ teaspoon Kosher salt into your pot.
Step Seven: Add the fresh parsley and stir well.
Step Eight: Put on the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When cooking time is complete, do a quick release and take off the lid.
Serve and enjoy!
You can also add bacon bits using this Instant Pot Bacon recipe.
- If you want to make this a vegan mushroom soup, replace 6 tablespoon butter with 6 tablespoon olive oil.
- The quickest way to slice mushrooms evenly is to use a mandolin slicer. This will make sure that they're all the same consistency.
How to serve
Mushroom soup is itself an amazing and complete dish, or it can be used as an appetizer or even a side dish.
That being said, you can always find other foods to make with it. I love the following recipes and think that they'd be just fine to pair up with a bowl of mushroom soup.
Yes, you can freeze this soup recipe. Let it cool all the way, and then store it in a freezer-safe container. Eat within 3 months.
When it comes time to thaw, just move the frozen soup to the fridge. You can then reheat the soup in the Instant Pot or in the microwave as well.
To add flavor to the soup, it's all about the seasonings. You need to add in your favorites and then see what you think.
Yes, you can use frozen mushrooms. Fresh works best but frozen is fine as well.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Soup is one of my favorite things to make in my Instant Pot! I had to share some of my other favorite soup recipes with all of you!
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Instant Pot Mushroom Recipes
I had a hard time narrowing down all my favorite mushroom recipes, but here are a few! Cooking with mushrooms just has so many options!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment below. Thanks!
Instant Pot Mushroom Soup
- 6 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounce mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 sprig parsley
- 3 tablespoon sherry (not cooking sherry)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Press "saute", add 2 tablespoon of butter and the sliced onions into the Instant Pot and and stir with a wooden spoon.
- After stirring, add the remaining 4 tablespoon of butter as well.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 ¼ cups of chicken broth, 3 tablespoon of Sherry, black pepper to taste and ½ teaspoon Kosher salt into your pot.
- Add the fresh parsley and stir well.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂
- If you want to make this a vegan mushroom soup, just omit the butter and use oil instead.
- The quickest way to slice mushrooms evenly is to use a mandolin slicer. This will make sure that they're all of the same consistency.
- You can take out the sherry for a non-alcohol soup.