There is nothing better than a good bowl of steaming hot chili when you come back home after a cold day. Sound good? It’s even more satisfying when it can be prepared in only 35 minutes…
This Instant Pot Turkey Chili recipe is very tasty and may seem rich and indulgent but is actually quite nutritious. Rich in proteins and low in carbohydrates, it’s the ultimate guilt-free comfort food!
Can I Make it with Ground Chicken?
Yes, this recipe can be made with ground chicken instead of turkey.
Can I Use Dried Beans?
Dried beans, if not pre-soaked, take 45 minutes to fully cook in an electric pressure cooker. However, you can use dried beans in this recipe as long as you soak them in salted water for 8 hours or overnight. If you don’t soak them first, dried beans cannot be used here.
What Other Types of Beans Can I Use?
How Do I Make it Spicier?
You can make this dish spicier by including the jalapeno seeds, since the seeds provide much of the spiciness. On the other hand, if you want to tone down the spice, you can omit the jalapeno and/or red pepper flakes.
Cocoa in Chili?!
It may seem strange, but cocoa and chilis are a common pairing in Mexican cuisine. Adding a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder adds depth to this dish.
Can I Use Broth Instead of Water?
Yes, you can absolutely use a turkey or chicken broth instead of water in this recipe.
If using broth, you should omit the kosher salt, so it doesn’t turn out too salty. You can always add a little more salt at the end if it needs it.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans red kidney beans around 550 ml
- 2 cans diced tomatoes around 400 ml
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups water
- Put the ground beef in the Instant Pot. Press "saute" and cook for 8-10 minutes until the beef is browned.
- Take out the beef and put aside.
- Put olive oil, onion, garlic, green pepper, carrot and jalapeno pepper. Press saute and cook for 4-5 minutes until the onion is browned.
- Add the cooked ground beef and all the remaining ingredients including the water. Stir a bit.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, to a quick pressure release.
- Serve and enjoy!