This instant pot butter chicken is delicious, satisfying, and flavorful. The recipe is incredibly quick and easy to make. Butter adds up to its taste and turns the chicken into a creamy delicacy.
Butter chicken is one of the most popular Indian recipes besides curry. Delicious and tender chicken pieces coated in a creamy and aromatic sauce is something you must try.
The butter chicken is easy to make, but with the Instant pot you will enjoy making it even more – easy and fast in the comfort of your home.
What chicken to use?
For this recipe, I went with skinless and boneless chicken thighs. I find these the most succulent. Still, if you have other pieces like chicken breasts, you can use them as well. Just make sure your chicken cubes are the same size, to ensure they are all cooked well.
What is butter chicken?
The butter chicken is a recipe that originates from Northern India. The chicken is prepared in a buttery gravy with the addition of heavy cream, which gives a silky and smooth texture. You can make the butter with real butter or use clarified butter, know as ghee. Adding heavy cream in the last step of cooking will provide richness and give your sauce the most amazing creaminess.
How to serve
The chicken has a bold and intensive flavor and is a true representative of Indian cuisine.
How to make butter chicken
Gather your ingredients
Cook onion and spices in Instant pot on Saute.
Add chicken and tomato sauce.
Lock lid into place and cook on High pressure for 7 minutes. Once the cooking cycle is done, perform a quick pressure release.
Add heavy cream.
Simmer the sauce for 2 minutes. Serve butter chicken warm.
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken cubed
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tsp garlic powder minced
- 2 tbsp ginger fresh and grated
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt and pepp
- cilantro chopped for garnish (optional)
- Turn on the instant pot and select sauté.
- Add in butter, onions, ginger, garlic, all spices and sauté for 5 minutes, stir well so they don’t burn.
- Add chicken cubes and tomato sauce.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- When cooking tine ends, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid, add heavy cream and stir well.
- Press "saute" and saute for 2 minutes until the sauce thickened.
- Sprinkle cilantro and serve.