If you like pasta and one-pot meals, this Instant Pot stuffed shell is the dish for you!
A great option for meatless Monday or anytime you’d like a vegetarian dinner.
You can make it in your Instant Pot or any other pressure cooker in just 30 minutes (total).
Do I need to precook the shells?
No. This is a one-pot meal so you can use the shells directly from the package.
Instant Pot Stuffed Shells Recipe Video
How about the marinara sauce?
For the marinara sauce, you can make it yourself using this Instant Pot Marinara sauce recipe or just use store-bought.
Can I Use a Different Sauce?
Yes! Feel free to replace the marinara sauce with Pesto, meat sauce, or any other sauce you like.
I’m always doing that when I want to diversify without getting bored of this Instant Pot stuffed shells recipe.
Can I Use Frozen Spinach?
I highly recommend using fresh baby spinach for this recipe.
Frozen spinach contains a lot of water, so it may result in the shells becoming too watery.
If you do use frozen spinach, make sure to fully defrost and drain it first, squeezing out as much excess liquid as possible with your hands.
If using fresh spinach, you should briefly boil the spinach, then drain and squeeze out excess water before adding to the cheese mixture.
The spinach can be minced after cooking and draining.
How many shells do I need?
Since we are placing the shells in a single layer, the amount change based on your Instant Pot size.
If you have a 6-quart Instant Pot – use 16 stuffed shells.
If you have an 8-quart Instant Pot – use 20 stuffed shells.
More Helpful Tips
It may seem strange to add water to the marinara sauce, but it’s necessary for this recipe.
If you don’t add sufficient water, the marinara may start to burn and you’ll get a burning message on your Instant Pot.
So, make sure to add the full 1 and 1/2 cups of water.
After you add the water, use a wooden spoon or flexible rubber spatula to scrape the bottom and corners of the pot.
Sometimes there will be bits of stuck-on onion or marinara sauce that could also cause a burning message, so make sure to scrape them off before pressure cooking to prevent this.
How to cook Instant Pot Stuffed Shells?
Gather all the ingredients first, trust me it lessens the hassle.
Take the Spinach and chop it.
Now take an onion and chop it, chop the garlic as well.
Take the Parsseman Cheese and shred it.
Take a bowl, and add Ricotta Cheese.
Add the chopped Spinach, and shredded Mozzarella into the bowl.
Now add previously shredded Parssamen Cheese and an egg as well.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Now take your Instant pot to add olive oil.
Add previously minced garlic.
Now add chopped onions and set the pot to Saute for 5 minutes.
Add Marinara Sauce after Sauteeing and stir well.
Add 1/2 cup of water so our mixture doesn’t burn and stir well.
Now comes the fun part!
Take Pasta shells and fill ’em with the stuffing we prepared earlier.
Fill the Pasta shells and keep putting them into the sauce in Instant Pot.
Set the Instant pot to High Pressure for 8 minutes.
Do a quick release.
Add Mozzarella onto the freshly cooked shells and set the instant pot to High pressure AGAIN for 4 minutes.
Do a quick release and Voila! your Instant Pot Stuffed Shells are ready to be served 🙂
One-Pot Pasta Recipes
- 16-20 pasta shells uncooked
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 10 ounces spinach boiled or defrosted, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1.5 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl mix spinach, ricotta, mozzarella (1 cup), parmesan cheese, whisked egg, salt, pepper and minced basil.
- Stuff the pasta shells with the filling.
- Press "Saute" and add olive oil to the Instant Pot.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes until golden.
- Add marinara sauce, stir and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add water and stir well.
- Place the stuffed shells in the sauce in one layer.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid and sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese (1 cup).
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Carefully remove shells with a slotted spoon to serve. Spoon extra sauce on top and garnish with additional parmesan cheese and fresh basil 🙂
More Instant Pot recipes