Do you love tender and cheesy potatoes? These Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes take just 20 minutes to make and will have you living in potato heaven!
This is the perfect potato side dish that takes minimal effort and delivers maximum flavor.
When you're craving comfort food with a little bit of sass, this is the recipe you need to make. It's hearty, it's addictive, and it's soon to be one of your favorite guilty pleasures.
While this is a great side dish for holidays and family get-togethers, it's also extremely delicious to make for the weekend to just indulge your tastebuds with cheesy goodness.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
To be honest, there's nothing about this recipe that doesn't work. All the ingredients pair perfectly with one another to deliver potato perfection. Everyone always raves about how mashed potatoes are the star of the show, but they're underestimating this crazy good dish.
I'm all for any side dish that looks this good and tastes just as good as it looks! And the best part? Clean-up is a breeze. Once again, the Instant Pot proves that it's the perfect way to cook fork-tender potatoes time and time again.
- Every serving is loaded with cheese and flavor
- This is the perfect recipe for holiday gatherings or a hearty side dish
- There is more than enough to enjoy the next day as leftovers
What are Instant Pot scalloped potatoes?
Scalloped potatoes are sliced potatoes that are cooked with a creamy and cheesy sauce. The ingredients can vary but all recipes are similar.
White potatoes - You can use red potatoes as well if you'd like.
Garlic cloves - I prefer cloves but garlic powder is also an option.
Chicken broth - To make this recipe vegetarian, use vegetable broth.
Garlic powder - If you only have garlic powder and no cloves, double it via the measurements on the recipe card.
Oregano - Excellent to pair with the garlic flavor.
Salt and pepper - To taste.
Heavy cream - Adds richness and thickness to the potatoes.
Cheddar cheese - You can use any type of shredded cheese.
Cilantro - Fresh cilantro is an excellent garnish, but is optional.
How to make Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes
Gather the ingredients to make these yummy Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes. You don't want to get started until you have everything ready.
Step One: Peel and cut the potatoes.
Step Two: Chop the garlic cloves.
Step Three: Add the potatoes, chicken broth, and spices to the Instant Pot. Set the pot to HIGH Pressure for 1 minute.
Step Four: Do a QUICK RELEASE.
Step Five: Put the cooked potatoes into a bowl.
Step Six: Set the pot to Saute for a minute and add the chopped garlic with the spices.
Step Seven: Add the heavy cream, cheddar cheese, and the sauce. Mix well.
Step Eight: Pour the sauce onto the bowl of potatoes.
Step Nine: Add the cheddar cheese to the top of the bowl and place the bowl in the Instant Pot.
Step Ten; Cover the bowl with Aluminum foil and set the pot to BAKE at 375 F for 15 minutes. Cover the pot with an Air Fryer lid.
Step Eleven: After the time has passed, take the lid off.
Step Twelve: Dish & add garnishings.
Serve & enjoy!
There are so many ingredients that you can add to this potato recipe. Some simple variation options are:
If you want to make homemade Scalloped Potatoes with Ham, simply add ⅔ cup of cubed ham along with the cheese mixture.
Feel free to substitute a little of the potato with some sweet potatoes.
A spoon full or two of pesto adds in a whole new flavor!
If you're worried about cutting the potatoes uniformly in size, you can use a mandolin to help slice the potatoes in the right thickness. This is a fast way to cut them quickly and evenly.
How To Serve
All you have to do is scoop a serving onto a plate and dig in!
You can also check What to Serve With Scalloped Potatoes for 20 more delicious ideas.
How To Store
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Be sure to eat the leftovers within 2-3 days.
How To Reheat
The best way to reheat leftover scalloped potatoes is to put a small serving in the microwave and reheat for 30-45 seconds. You can also add some more shredded cheese on top if you'd like.
Your potatoes may be crunchy because they may not be uniform in thickness. It's important to do your best to get them all the same thickness if possible.
If the potatoes are watery, you may have added too much liquid to the recipe, or you need to give it a little bit longer to cool down. These potatoes will thicken up as they cool.
Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes
- 3 lb white potatoes peel and cut finely
- 5 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup cheddar cheese
- cilantro for garnish, optional
- Place the sliced potatoes inside the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken broth and garlic powder and put on the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 1 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl.
- Add chopped garlic into the empty Instant Pot and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the oregano, salt, black pepper and mix well.
- Add the heavy cream and cheddar cheese. Mix.
- Pour the mixture onto the potatoes that are in the bowl. Add the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- Cover the bowl of potatoes with aluminum foil and place the bowl in the Instant Pot.
- Put on the Air fryer lid and bake at 375 F° for 15 minutes.
- Take off the lid and, garnish, and serve!
- If you're worried about cutting the potatoes uniformly in size, you can use a mandolin to help slice the potatoes in the right thickness. This is a fast way to cut them quickly and evenly.
- If the potatoes are watery, you may have added too much liquid to the recipe, or you need to give it a little bit longer to cool down. These potatoes will thicken up as they cool.