Apple pie is a good choice in the dessert. When having with oats it becomes more delicious and good for health.
The apple pie is an amazing dessert but making one can be quite challenging. The classic apple pie has a buttery crust and it is filled with apples cooked is the brown sugar-cinnamon sauce. Of course, this is more than amazing, but what when you are craving an apple pie but do not want to go through all the fuss?
In that case, you are in the right place.
I made an oatmeal apple pie, that tastes as it looks good. Yes, it does not have that classic apple pie appearance but the flavor is the same. Also, this Instant Pot Apple Pie is made with oats and we all do know how healthy these are.
If you like oats and healthy desserts, check out this Instant Pot apple crisp .
This is something I called a healthier apple pie version, and for me much easier to make.
Which apples to choose?
Some apples are good for snacking, while others are ideal for baking. If you do not want to go deep into thinking, choose Granny Smith apples. These are everyone’s to-go apples for baking because they are tart and firm, keeping their shape while providing the perfect balance to sweet ingredients. If you cannot find these, or by chance have Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Pink Lady, or Mcintosh they will work just fine.
How to avoid mushy apples?
If you have ever cooked apples in the Instant pot then you know how mushy can they get. The apple pie is not made with an apple sauce, and here is how to avoid it:
- cut apples into the same large chunks so they do not cook fast. I find 1-inch apple chunks work the best.
- do not overcook the apples in the initial cooking step. 30 seconds of cooking apples and spices is enough
- do not add more water than indicated in the recipe
If you like this recipe, check out my Instant Pot Apple Bread.
How to make Instant Pot apple pie?
Gather your ingredients:
Cut the apples into 1-inch chunks.
Melt butter in Instant pot on saute. Add apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla. Cook the apples for 30 seconds.
Add oats and water.
Lock the lid into place. Cook on High pressure for 5 minutes. Perform a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
Serve apple pie warm with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1½ tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup oats
- 2 apples cubed
- a few drops vanilla extract optional
- Press "saute" and melt the butter.
- Add apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla. Cook the apples for 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking cycle ends, wait for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Once done, open the lid and stir well.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂