Air frying is one of the most modern cooking techniques that allow us to enjoy the deliciousness of fried foods without the health risks attached to it. When you use an air fryer, the cooking process is based on circulating heated air with only a fraction of oil or grease. This is why food is healthier and tastes better.
However, this implies buying a new appliance for your kitchen, which can be rather cumbersome. Luckily, there is a way to go around it. People who own a multicooker (or plan on buying one) have the option of getting a special lid that turns the multicooker into an air fryer any time they want.
In fact, the Instant Pot series offers two amazing options: Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid vs Instant Pot Duo Crisp. Now, if you want to know more about each, make sure to read my reviews and comparison below.
Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid Review
The Air Fryer Lid is the kitchen accessory that can turn almost any Instant Pot multicooker into an air fryer. The lid works with most 6 quarts Instant Pot pressure cookers, with the condition that they have a stainless steel inner pot (it doesn’t work if the inner pot is ceramic).
So, if you already are the proud owner of one (or more) Instant Pot products, you may want to consider the IP Air Fryer Lid. It is compact and can be easily stored away for whenever you need it, and it even comes with extra functionalities (not just frying).
If you read my review on the IP Fryer Lid, you’ll see that the lid can be used for baking, dehydrating, broiling, roasting, and reheating food as well. So, you have more than just an air fryer – you have a full range of cooking-related functions that can transform your kitchen!
The good news is that the lid has its own control panel, so it doesn’t interfere with the one already on the pot. In addition, it is equipped with a handle which means it’s easy to put it on or take it off as needed. It even has an LCD display that lets you know how the cooking is going.
Due to the innovative EvenCrisp technology used for the Air Fryer Lid, this is the accessory that will finally help you cook delicious and healthy crispy fries that look just as great as the deep-fried ones. In addition, you can also use it to bake bread, make delicious chicken wings for when your friends come over and even cook exotic recipes like creme brulee.
To make things even simpler, the Air Fryer lid comes with several interesting accessories such as a frying basket, a dehydrating and broiling tray, and a protective pad to set it on when it’s hot.
Quick Tip: The protective pad can be used as a storage cover when the lid is cooled off.
- Easy to use, store, and keep clean
- It has its own control panel and LCD display
- It turns a wide array of IP pressure cookers into air fryers
- Users can cook lots of interesting dishes
- The lid adds six extra cooking functionalities to your kitchen
- The lid is a bit heavy to lift over the pot
- You need more vertical space with the lid on
- The frying basket doesn’t allow for large portions
- Does not fit 3-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Review
The Duo Crisp is a multicooker with two lids; one for regular cooking features (pressure cooking, steaming, slow cooking, warming, and more) and one for air frying, baking, broiling, and roasting.
This is the perfect IP multicooker for users who want to have all the basic features of the DUO series and the features associated with an air fryer. In total, there are 11 smart programs (6 for the regular lid and 5 for the air frying lid) and 10+ built-in safety features at your disposal, all the time. Now, if this doesn’t motivate you to cook tastier, healthier foods, then most likely nothing will!
Just like the Air Fryer Lid, the DUO Crisp is equipped with InstantCrisp technology. This means that, even though you’re not using a stand-alone air fryer, the food will be juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside every time you use the extra lid.
Still, you need to keep in mind that this is a large IP product (8 quarts)! This makes it perfect for mid-sized and large families, but it may be a bit too much for single people (depending on your cooking habits). You should also know that the air frying lid is quite tall, so you’ll need plenty of vertical space above the pot to be able to move freely.
Lastly, the DUO Crisp comes with its own accessories (a multi-level air fryer basket and a dehydrating/broiling tray) which are easy to clean and maintain.
- It’s an Instant Pot DUO with an extra lid for frying
- There are 11 smart programs for cooking and frying
- You can cook large meals
- InstantCrisp technology for perfectly cooked meals
- Ideal for small kitchens
- Not the best fit if you’re only cooking for yourself
- The frying lid is a bit heavy and tall
- The lid can’t be used with other IP products
Which One Should I Buy?
The final decision is up to you, but here are my thoughts on these two products:
Choose the IP Air Fryer Lid If…
- You already own a 6 quarts Instant Pot multicooker with a stainless steel inner pot
- You don’t want to add another appliance to your kitchen
- One-pot meals are your specialty
- You want your multi-cooker to have more functions
- You don’t like frying in large quantities at once
Choose the DUO Crisp If…
- You are cooking for a large family
- You like the idea of easy access to air frying features without an additional appliance
- You want to buy an Instant Pot multicooker with all the cool features
Overall, if you’re a big fan of the DUO series, the DUO Crisp makes sense. However, if you’re planning on changing multi-cookers or you already own one and don’t feel like changing it, the Air Fryer Lid is a better fit. Whichever you choose, it will transform your cooking and make the experience a lot more fun!