Buttermilk, sugar, and cornmeal are the secrets of this wonderful and delicious bread you can make in your Instant Pot in 30 minutes.
This is simply the best recipe for a sweet and fluffy and traditional cornbread.
Why should I make cornbread anyway?
The cornbread you will get is soft, tender, and just enough moist. I have tried other types and other recipes, but this one works the best in the Instant Pot. I am sure you will love it too :]
What to use instead of cornmeal?
If you do not have cornmeal, you can use polenta or a cup of fresh or thawed corn kernels. If you use corn kernels, make sure you blend them with buttermilk until you have a smooth mixture. Follow the recipe afterward.
I made this recipe with some variations a few days ago. I reduced the amount of sugar to ⅓ of the cup and added 2 tablespoon of honey.
I also tried it with brown sugar and it works great as well.
If you want something special, just add 3 tablespoon of sour cream. The bread did not become soggy, and it had an unusual twist to the flavor.
Can I make it gluten-free?
Yes, you can turn the cornbread into a gluten-free bread. Make sure you are using gluten-free certified flour and cornmeal. Naturally, corn is gluten-free, but due to cross-contamination, always search for GF-labeled products.
How to serve
As mentioned, you can serve your cornbread with different stews, chilis, and even jambalaya.
It is also great to serve it with fresh salads, or delicious pot roast. I personally Like it warm, with some butter on top.
How to make
Gather your ingredients:
In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg with sugar, oil, and buttermilk.
Fold in flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
Let the batter rest for 15 minutes before pouring into a greased pan or springform.
Pour 1 cup water into the Instant Pot and insert a trivet. Place the cornbread on top. Cover the bread with aluminum foil.
Lock the lid into place. Select Manual and set to High pressure. Cook the bread for 25 minutes.
Once the cooking cycle is done, perform a quick pressure release.
Remove the bread from the pan and serve.
Instant Pot Cornbread
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water for the Instant Pot
- ⅓ cup oil
- Grease a 7-inch round pan. Keep aside.
- In bowl, whisk egg with buttermilk, sugar, and oil.
- Fold in flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- Place mixture into a prepared pan.
- Pour 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot.
- Arrange a trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the pan on top of the trivet.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Transfer the bread pan onto a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool down before slicing.
- Cut into desired slices and serve 🙂