This is simply the best recipe for a sweet and fluffy and traditional cornbread… Buttermilk, sugar, and cornmeal are the secret of this wonderful and delicious bread.
Why is this recipe good?
The cornbread I made is soft, tender, and just enough moist. I have tried other types and other recipes, but this one works the best for me. I am sure you will love it too.
What to use instead of cornmeal?
If you do not have cornmeal, you can use polenta or a cup of fresh or thawed corn kernels. If you use corn kernels, make sure you blend them with buttermilk until you have a smooth mixture. Follow the recipe afterward.
What else can be added?
I made this recipe with some variations a few days ago. I reduced the amount of sugar to 1/3 of the cup and added 2 tbsp of honey. You can also use some brown sugar as well. Also, I added 3 tbsp of sour cream. The bread did not become soggy, and it had an unusual twist to the flavor. You can try it as well.
Can I make this bread GF?
Yes, you can turn the cornbread into a gluten-free version. Make sure you are using gluten-free certified flour and cornmeal. Naturally, corn is gluten-free, but due to cross-contamination, always search for GF-labeled products.
How to serve cornbread?
As mentioned, you can serve your cornbread with different stews, chilis, and Jambalaya. It is also great to serve it with fresh salads, or delicious pot roast. I personally Like it warm, with some butter on top.
How to make cornbread?
Gather your ingredients:
In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg with sugar, oil, and buttermilk.
Fold in flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
Let the batter rest for 15 minutes before pouring into a greased pan or springform. Pour 1 cup water into the Instant Pot and insert a trivet. Place the cornbread on top. Cover the bread with aluminum foil.
Lock the lid into place. Select Manual and set to High pressure. Cook the bread for 25 minutes. Once the cooking cycle is done, perform a quick pressure release.
Remove the bread from the pan and serve.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water for instant pot
- 1/3 cup oil
- Grease a 7-inch round pan. Keep aside.
- In bowl, whisk egg with buttermilk, sugar, and oil.
- Fold in flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- Place mixture into a prepared pan.
- Arrange a steamer trivet in the bottom of Instant Pot and pour the water.
- Place the pan on top of the trivet.
- Secure the lid and turn to “Seal” position.
- Cook on “Manual” with “High Pressure” for about 25 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” and do a quick release.
- Carefully, remove the lid andtransfer the bread pan onto a wire rack for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Carefully, invert the bread onto the wire rack.
- Cut into desired slices and serve warm.