Beef barley soup is very yummy. It is easy to make, tender and juicy. It is the most delicious and simplest soup you will ever made in your Instant Pot!
This rich, homemade, and hearty soup is all you need in cold winter days. The soup with tender beef chunks, nutritious barley, and loads of veggies is the perfect combo for a refreshing and nourishing meal.
Beef and Barley soup is a homemade classic and is so much better that can version. Yes, some like to go on the easy way and just buy the canned stuff, but with the Instant Pot, you will be able to enjoy a natural and much delicious soup in no time!
The soup is a great blend of beef, barley, carrots, potatoes, and rich beef broth. You can toss in other veggies like celery, chopped tomatoes, or anything you like.
When choosing meat go with stew meat or chuck roast, as these are perfect for the soups and stews. You can also add in desired herbs, like parsley, thyme, or even bay leaf.
This soup is really good for building up the flavors, and you can mix and play with different spices and seasonings.
Can I use a plain barley?
If you cannot find pearl barley, just get pre-soak barley. Soak them overnight and use and cook as the recipe says.
How to make Beef Barley Soup
Gather your ingredients:
Brown beef on Saute in Instant pot.
Add in veggies, spices, and broth.
Lock lid into place. Set to High pressure and set the timer for 25 minutes. Release pressure naturally for 10 minutes and than do a quick pressure release.
Serve it warm. You can eat as is or add some bread.
- 1 lb stew meat
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup carrot
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers green, red, yellow
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 potato shredded
- 2/3 cup pearl barley or plain pre-soaked barley
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Select "saute" and heat the oil.
- Add the beef and cook on each side until it browned.
- Add veggies and cook for 3 more minutes on "saute".
- Add barley and stock. Stir well.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Once cooking ends, wait for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Once done, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Serve warm and enjoy!