This Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs recipe is as easy as it gets. They’re made in your Instant Pot in only 10 minutes!
Why This Recipe Works
These Swedish Meatballs are so delicate and the sauce is so rich and smooth that it will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. And you’ll never get bored of it!
Meatballs are difficult to get right because they’re easy to overcook and then they get tough and dry. Not anymore with this recipe! Using the Instant Pot to cook meatballs guarantees they’re come out moist and tender every time.
Then for the sauce… it’s so unique and flavorful, but it comes together so easily. All you have to do is mix everything together and voilà! It’s too easy!
Ground beef – I prefer to use 85% lean ground beef for my meatballs for the best texture. If you use a leaner meat, they will be healthier, but won’t taste as good 🙂
French onion soup mix – this is the secret ingredient for the meatballs. It adds so much flavor!
Worcestershire sauce – you can substitute a little bit of steak sauce, they’re very similar.
Breadcrumbs – I use plain unseasoned breadcrumbs so I can control the seasoning and salt level. You can also use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs if you’d like—just don’t add any additional salt or seasonings.
Sour cream – this ingredient gives the sauce its richness and a little bit of tang! You can use low-fat sour cream to make it a little lighter.
Dijon mustard – using Dijon mustard packs a punch, a little bit goes a long way. I would not recommend substituting other types of mustard—it just doesn’t come out the same.
Parsley – the parsley is just used as a garnish, so it’s optional. But I think it adds a lot of freshness to this dish to offset the rich sauce and meatballs, so I highly recommend it!
How to Make
Gather the ingredients.
Chop an Onion.
For Meat Balls:
Take a bowl and add the ground beef.
Add 1 packet of French Onion Soup mix and 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs.
Add Worcestershire sauce.
Then, add an egg and mix well.
Take a tray and start making balls out of the mix.
For the sauce:
Take a bowl and pour heavy cream into it.
Now add melted butter and sour cream to it.
Add Dijon Mustard and Corn Starch.
Add Beef broth.
Mix well, and it will look something like this.
Cook the Meat Balls:
Take your Instant Pot out & pour in the olive oil.
Add chopped onions to it.
Set the Instant Pot to Saute, and stir well.
Add meatballs into the Pot one by one. Do not over crowd the meatballs. Cook in batches if necessary.
Let it cook for some time until the balls are lightly seared, then add the cream mixture to it.
Now cover with the lid and set the pot to high pressure for 4 minutes.
Do a Quick Release.
Dish out your Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs, top with chopped parsley, and serve 🙂
- Be mindful so as not to overfill the pot. Be patient and fry the meatballs in batches with the goal that they can be pleasantly seared on the outside.
- If you prefer or need, you can utilize gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs in this recipe to make it gluten-free!
- Try adding a pinch of nutmeg and/or allspice to the meatballs. I realize they seem like fixings just utilized in the fall season, yet it’s these flavors that really distinguish these from customary meatballs to Swedish meatballs.
- While I used beef here, you can use this same recipe to make any type of meatball you like! Chicken and turkey are great choices too. Remember that if you’re using a lean kind of meat like chicken, turkey, or lean beef, it’s ideal to mix it with fattier meat like pork or lamb for the optimal flavor and texture. This will adjust the moisture to guarantee you don’t wind up with dry meatballs.
How to Serve
Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs are excellent served over egg noodles, pureed potatoes, or rice. If you’re looking for some low-carb alternatives, riced cauliflower or zoodles also work well.
Here are some more unique ideas for side dishes:
You can also serve them as is and enjoy a light meal 🙂
What are Swedish Meatballs?
Referred to in Sweden as köttbullar, this is an exemplary meatball dish traditionally spiced with nutmeg and allspice.
These meatballs are served in a thick buttery beef gravy sauce made velvety with sour cream.
What can I do with leftovers?
Store these Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days. They are ideal for easy reheating in the microwave! You can also reheat them in a pan set over medium heat if you prefer.
Add additional beef stock as needed. Sometimes the sauce gets too thick but can easily be thinned out with additional stock.
Can I freeze them?
Yes you can!
Allow the meatballs to cool down to room temperature and then transfer to a lidded container. These meatballs will last as long as 90 days in the freezer.\
Instant Pot Meatball Recipes
If you’re looking for similar recipes but prefer chicken, check out this Instant Pot Chicken Meatballs recipe.
Whenever I have extra meatballs from this Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs recipe, I like to use them to upgrade the Instant Pot Italian Wedding Soup with homemade meatballs. You should try it!
- 1 lb grounded beef
- 1 package french onion soup mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 tbsp butter melted
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Parsley chopped
- Take a bowl and mix together ground beef, soup mix, 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs and egg.
- Make medium size meatballs.
- Take another bowl and mix well all remaining ingredients for the sauce.
- Turn on the Instant Pot, pour some oil, and select saute.
- Add chopped onions and stir.
- Add meatballs and saute until brown.
- Pour the sauce mixture to the Instant Pot and close the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid, serve and enjoy 🙂