I don’t know about you, but I find myself making rice often and I’m always looking for new ways to jazz it up. This Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice recipe is the perfect option for whenever you want to diversify the usual side dish and still keep it easy and nutritious. And the best part is you can make this recipe in less than 20 minutes thanks to your Instant Pot!
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe pairs perfectly with both Mexican and Asian mains, making it a new staple side dish in our household. The addition of cilantro and lime add brightness and a subtle acidity that is a welcome change from your typical white rice recipe.
I love using my Instant Pot to make rice because it’s nearly foolproof. You just set it and forget it. No more worrying about how much water to add or if it’s absorbing too fast or too slow. The Instant Pot takes all of the guesswork out of making rice. If you just follow the recipe, it comes out perfectly every time!
Water – you can also use vegetable stock, but I actually think the cilantro and lime flavors shine through better using just water.
Olive oil – can be omitted, or you can use butter instead.
Cilantro – use fresh cilantro for this recipe, not dried. You can either chop it up or mix in whole leaves. Make sure you wash and dry the cilantro well before using.
Lime juice – I prefer to use fresh lime juice for this recipe. You can also serve with lime wedges, so you can add more lime juice if you prefer.
How to make Cilantro Lime Rice
Gather your ingredients:
Add the long-grain rice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and garlic powder, and water to the Instant Pot and stir well.
Turn the vent to the sealing position, press manual mode, and adjust the time to 3 minutes. When the instant pot is finished cooking, press the cancel button. Then release the steam naturally.
In a bowl, mix the remaining olive oil, lime juice, and minced cilantro. Add to the rice and stir.
Serve with an additional lime slice and enjoy!
- Make sure to wait for a full natural release for this recipe. I know it can be tough waiting sometimes, but it’s necessary for the rice to steam for long enough to fully cook. Trust me, it’s worth the wait!
- This recipe only contains a handful of ingredients, so it’s important to follow the recipe exactly as written to get the best results.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro and lime are popular flavors in Mexican cuisine as well as Thai cuisine. Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve with this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice recipe:
More Rice Recipes
Like I said, the Instant Pot is my absolute favorite way to cook rice! We have lots of rice recipes for you to check out. If you liked this one, here are some more I think you’ll enjoy:
FAQ About Cilantro Lime Rice
Can I use brown rice?
Yes—if you use brown rice, add 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Can I use other herbs in this recipe?
Yes, although it will greatly change the flavor. I recommend using fresh herbs such as basil or parsley as opposed to dried herbs.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice no rinsed
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Place the rice, 1 tablespoon of oil, salt, garlic powder and water in the Instant Pot and stir well.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, wait for a natural pressure release and then open the lid.
- In a bowl mix the 1 tablespoon of olive oil, lime juice and minced cilantro. Add the mixture to the rice and stir.
- Serve with an additional lime slice and enjoy!