This is a delightful dish of Mexican cuisine. It is tender, soft and juicy. The beansmakes it more delicious in taste. It is a fulfilling whole hearty meal.
- 1 lb pinto beans drained & rinsed
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Turn on the instant pot, select sauté and let it get hot.
- Add olive oil, onion and cook until onions are soft.
- Add chili powder, ground cumin, oregano, garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Pour ½ cup chicken stock, deglaze and mix it quickly.
- Add beans and then remaining chicken stock in the pot.
- Close the lid of the instant pot.
- Set the instant pot to “Manual” at high pressure for 40 minutes, release the pressure naturally through steam vent.
- Open the lid of the instant pot.
- Strain the liquid with strainer and keep this liquid in a bowl.
- Add beans back in the pot.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the beans until desired consistency has reached.
- Season with salt.
- Add strained liquid back in the pot until desired consistency.
- Mix well and serve with cilantro on the top.
This recipe is part of our 1001 Instant Pot recipes project, a huge collection of free, easy and delicious recipes.