I absolutely love Black Bean Soup, and this creamy Instant Pot Black Bean Soup recipe is simply out of the world! And thanks to the Instant Pot, it just got so much easier to make.
Aside from being easy to make, Instant Pot Black Bean Soup is healthy and delicious. It’s bursting with flavor and fun to customize with a whole array of garnishes. Definitely one of my favorites!
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
There are so many black bean soup recipes out there, but this one is the best. It starts out with sautéing the aromatics for a flavorful base. From there, the Instant Pot does all the work.
It’s hands free for just 1 hour and the beans are cooked to perfection every time. And the best part? You don't even need to soak the beans beforehand! Normally black bean soup requires planning ahead and soaking the beans for several hours beforehand to ensure they cook evenly, but that’s not necessary when you’re using an electric pressure cooker.
Chili powder – chili powder is important to the flavor profile of this dish. Different brands taste different and have different spice levels based on the types of chile peppers that are used, so try out a couple different kinds until you find the one you like best.
Oregano – if you can find it, use Mexican oregano. Compared to traditional Italian oregano, Mexican oregano has undertones of citrus and lemon that better complement this dish.
Dried Black Beans – it’s important to use dried black beans for this recipe rather than canned beans which are already cooked.
Bay Leaves – be sure to remove these at the end of the recipe! They impart a ton of flavor but are not meant to be eaten.
Water – you can substitute vegetable stock or chicken stock for extra flavor.
How to Make Black Bean Soup
Turn on the Instant Pot and select sauté. Add in oil and let it heat for a bit.
Add in onions and cook for 5 minutes.
Add garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder and cook for 1 minute.
Add beans, bay leaves and water.
Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot to “Manual” at high pressure for 60 minutes, release the pressure quickly through the steam vent.
Open the lid of the Instant Pot. Remove bay leaves.
Remove 1 cup of beans and set them aside.
Blend the remaining beans with an immersion blender.
Taste the beans and add salt according to your taste. Add in reserved beans and stir.
Serve and enjoy.
- I love the combination of textures that comes from leaving some of the beans whole and pureeing the rest. However, if you prefer a totally smooth soup, you can blend all of the beans.
- If you like your Instant Pot Black Bean Soup a little bit spicier, feel free to heat it up by adding some cayenne or a dash of hot sauce.
How to Serve
This recipe is perfect for garnishing with all your favorite toppings. I like to garnish mine with Mexican cheese, fresh cilantro, and some sour cream. If you like things spicy, try garnishing with some jalapeno slices as well!
I think this soup is filling and nutritious enough to serve on its own for lunch or as a light dinner. It’s delightful served with some cheese on top and a piece of bread on the side for dipping.
Need more ideas? Check out What to Serve With Black Bean Soup for 20 delicious recipes.
Are black beans healthy?
Black beans are full of nutrients and antioxidants. They are also filled with protein which makes them filling and a great protein option for vegetarians and vegans.
Is Instant Pot Black Bean Soup vegan?
Yes, this bean soup is vegan. Unless you opt to garnish with crema or use chicken broth instead of water, this soup is completely vegetarian and vegan.
Can this recipe be frozen?
Yes. this Instant Pot black bean soup is a great recipe to freeze. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Instant Pot Bean Recipes
If you like this black beans recipe, you may also want to try these recipes featuring different types of beans:
Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic sliced
- 4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 ½ cups dry black beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn on the Instant Pot, elect saute and add oil.
- Add in onions and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add beans, bay leaves and water and stir.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 60 minutes (1 hour).
- When cooking time ends, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid and remove the bay leaves.
- Remove 1 cup of beans and set aside.
- Blend the remaining beans (inside the Instant Pot) with an immersion blender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the 1 cup of beans back to the Instant Pot and stir well.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂