Instant Pot Navy Bean Soup is one of my favorite comfort foods! It’s SO easy to make but tastes like it’s been simmering all day. Navy bean soup is the ultimate one-pot meal.
Why This Recipe Works
This Instant Pot Navy Bean soup recipe is SO flavorful you won’t believe it’s ready in under an hour! Plus, there’s no need to soak beans beforehand, so it’s ready in a pinch.
What makes this soup stand out is the flavor from the ham. It adds so much flavor to the beans and is so melt-in-your-mouth tender when cooked in the Instant Pot.
Navy beans – can you substitute larger white beans such as Great Northern beans or Cannelloni beans.
Potatoes – I like to use Yukon gold potatoes in this recipe, and I recommend peeling the potatoes for better texture.
Ham – use thick ham slabs, rather than thinly sliced deli ham.
Gather all the ingredients first.
Take 3 carrots and dice them into cubes.
Take 1/2 cup celery and get it cubed as well.
Take 1 cup Ham and chop it into cubes.
Take 2 potatoes and get them chopped into cubes.
Take an onion and chop it as well.
Now you need 3 garlic cloves chopped finely.
Take the Instant Pot and saute for 3 minutes. Then add 2 tbsp butter into it.
Add the chopped garlic and chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes.
Add chopped celery, chopped carrots and saute for 2 more minutes.
Add 2 cups of chicken broth. Stir well.
Now add chopped potatoes.
Now, add Ham and 1 lb Navy Beans.
Add more water if needed.
Add 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
Cover with the lid and set the pot to manual at high pressure for 39 minutes.
Wait for a natural pressure release for 15 minutes, then a quick release and here you go, your Instant-Pot-Navy-Beans are ready!
- Rather than adding boneless chopped ham to the soup, you can also use a hambone. A ham bone gives this soup loads of flavor! When the soup is done, you can easily cut the ham off of the bone and add in into the soup as well.
- The time it takes to cook beans can fluctuate quite a bit due to factors like their age, their sort, or even the calcium levels of the water you used. If your beans aren’t tender enough after cooking and still have a little bit of crunch, cook at high pressure for another 5-10 minutes. The Instant Pot should come to pressure quickly if the bean and their liquid are hot.
- These Instant Pot Navy Beans will keep for as long as seven days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer in a freezer-safe container.
- See how to make this recipe step-by-step in the video below:
I think this Instant Pot Navy Bean soup recipe is perfectly filling for lunch or dinner all on its own—a true one-pot meal! Sometimes I also like to serve it with a baguette to dip in the delicious broth.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you love beans, try these Instant Pot bean recipes:
If you love soup, these are some of my favorite Instant Pot soup recipes:
What are Navy Beans?
Pea-sized white beans are called Navy beans. Navy beans are also commonly known as haricot beans, Boston beans, Peas beans, or Yankee beans.
What are the health benefits of Navy Beans?
- Navy Beans are very healthy for brain cells and are beneficial for folate requirements.
- White Beans are full of antioxidants especially Magnesium.
- Navy beans are helpful in maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- Navy beans are also a great source of fiber and protein.
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 potatoes cubed
- 3 carrots
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup celery
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup ham cubed
- Press saute and add butter to the Instant Pot.
- Add garlic and onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add chicken stock, potatoes, ham and beans in the pot and chicken broth.
- Add Beans and ham and stir well. Add more water to cover the veggies if needed.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 39 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, wait for a natural release for 15 minutes.
- Once done, open the lid and stir.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂