Looking for something healthy and tasty? This Instant Pot Lentils and Rice recipe might be just what you’re looking for!
This recipe is completely vegan and takes less than 15 minutes to make. Not to mention, the ingredients for this recipe are really cheap, so it’s an amazing option for budget friendly meal.
Why This Recipe Works
This Instant Pot Lentils and Rice recipe only contains a short list of ingredients but is plenty flavorful. AND it’s able so cook quickly in the Instant Pot but still infuse a ton of flavor in that short cook time.
Olive oil – you can use any type of oil here. I like olive oil for the taste and its health benefits. You can also you a heart-healthy neutral oil like avocado oil.
Onion – any type of onion will work, but I prefer Spanish yellow onions.
Rice – this recipe was developed using long-grain white rice. I don’t recommend swapping for brown rice or it will affect the cook time and the lentils might get too mushy. I would go with jasmine rice or basmati rice.
Lentils – I used brown lentils here, but you can use brown, green or black lentils in this recipe. I don’t recommend using red lentils since they cook a little bit more quickly and might finish cooking before the rice is done.
Vegetable broth – you could also use water, but vegetable broth adds a lot more flavor! Chicken broth works too, but then it’s no longer vegetarian.
How to make Lentils and rice
Gather your ingredients:
Press saute and add olive oil.
Saute the onion until golden and crispy, about 3-4 min, and set aside.
Add the rest of the ingredients to your Instant Pot.
Cook on high for 10 min. After that do a quick release.
Serve with fried onion on top and enjoy!
- You do NOT need to soak the lentils beforehand in this recipe. That’s why I like this recipe so much! The Instant Pot does all of the work for you and saves a lot of time.
- The onion is used for a crispy onion topping, rather than cooking the onions with the lentils and rice. In a pinch, you can skip the first step of sautéing the onion and use store-bought fried onions as a topping instead. I prefer to cook the onions in the pot first, because then the onion flavor fond is there when you add in the rice and lentils.
- Serve this Instant Pot Lentils and Rice with lemon wedges for a nice garnish. It adds a nice burst of acidity to squeeze a little bit of lemon juice on top!
How to Serve Instant Pot Lentils and Rice
More Vegetarian Recipes
We have lots of great recipes for vegetarian and vegan main dishes on the site. Check out some of my favorites here:
FAQ About Lentils and Rice
What are the spices in this recipe?
The spices in this recipe are coriander, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. This flavor profile pairs wonderfully with citrus, which is why I like to serve this dish with lemon!
How long does this recipe last in the refrigerator?
This recipe will last several days in the refrigerator. It is easy to reheat in the microwave or stovetop, and it makes great leftovers!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup rice long-grain
- 1 cup lentils no-soak
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Press saute and add olive oil.
- Saute the onion for a few minutes until golden and set aside.
- Add rice, lentils, coriander, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and vegetable broth and stir well.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid, top with the fried onion and serve 🙂