The best way to make black rice is by using the Instant Pot. Get the perfect rice each and every time!
Black rice is a real superfood: It is not only packed with beneficial substances like antioxidants, phytonutrients, and fibers, but it also prevents such diseases as diabetes and atherosclerosis.
Moreover, this Instant Pot black rice is really tasty and aromatic so that it can be served as is or used in many rice recipes as an ingredient.
Its nutty flavor makes it suitable for both sweet and savory dishes and it pairs really well with fresh and seasonal veggies for a super healthy meal!
What is black rice?
Black rice is a type of rice often called Forbidden rice. The black rice in past times was only reserved for the royalty, as they only could afford it.
There are several types of black rice available today, like black rice from the Philippines, Indonesian black rice, and Thai black rice. Even today, black rice is considered a very luxurious food, and it is being served during festive in some countries.
Whether you consider black rice as a luxurious or a common ingredient, the most important thing is that black rice is very delicious and nutritious, and should be a part of your diet.
How to spot a good black rice?
As with any rice, black rice has few features to look out for when buying. The quality black rice should have:
- slight gloss and smooth surface, without cracks
- uniform size
- when cooked it should have a slightly sweet taste
- and if you scrape the hull, the inner part should be white
How to use black rice?
The black rice goes beyond a bowl of rice. It can be used in salads, Buddha bowls, to make rice porridge, or for a delicious rice pudding.
Whatever you choose I am sure it will be perfect.
What are the health benefits of black rice?
- Black rice is rich in antioxidants. These are great for fighting the free radicals that cause many health issues.
- Black rice is high in digestive fibers, which makes it perfect for people who need more fiber in their diet and also improve digestive health
- Black rice has more protein than the others type of rice. If you are a vegan and trying to digest more protein, then the black rice is a wonderful option for you.
Do I have to use bell peppers?
No. In my opinion they add color and taste to this dish but feel free to take them out.
Can I use a different type of rice?
Yes but then you will have a different recipe :] Check out this Instant Pot rice calculator for more details.
How to make black rice
Gather your ingredients:
Rinse rice in clean cold water.
Place rice with water in Instant Pot. Lock the lid into place. Select Manual and set to high pressure.
Once the cooking cycle is done, wait for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes and than perform a quick release.
Stir on olive oil and chopped bell peppers and mix for 1-2 minutes.
Instant Pot Black Rice
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil optional
- mix of chopped bell peppers optional
- Rinse the black rice and place in the Instant Pot.
- Add water and salt to the Instant Pot and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 18 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, wait for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Once done, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Add olive oil and chopped peppers. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂