Instant Pot Khichdi is a fast and easy recipe that takes just 10 minutes to make. When you want to cook a family dinner that is hearty and affordable, it's hard to pass up this yummy dish!
Since this dish is high in protein, it's the perfect way to fuel the body and belly for anything and everything that's waiting for the day ahead. Everyone in the family will agree that this needs to be on the meal planning radar as much as possible.
One of the biggest reasons that I love this simple khichdi recipe is that it's versatile in how it can be enjoyed. It's delicious with added ghee or butter, can be mixed with unflavored yogurt, or topped with fresh parsley for a light and refreshing taste.
Even though this is comfort food, it doesn't mean that it has to be overly heavy in texture! Have fun changing up the way that it's served so that it tastes different each time.
Table of Contents
What is Khichdi?
Khichdi is a popular Indian recipe that is delicious comfort food.
There are many versions and varieties of this Indian dish, and some add yogurt, tomatoes, and other flavorful ingredients as well.
Why This Recipe Works
Some people make this for a side dish, while others create it for the main star of the dinner show. It's really up to you how and when you want to create it, as long as you do!
The flavor that is in this simple recipe will have you literally blown away. This simple khichdi recipe proves that food doesn't have to be complicated to be good.
- Made with simple and affordable ingredients
- A great source of protein for the family
- Perfect for comfort food or a filling side dish
Olive oil - Other oils that could be used are coconut oil and avocado oil. Just be aware that adding coconut oil will add coconut flavoring to the dish.
Cumin seeds - Perfect for adding the warm flavoring that cumin is known for.
Ginger - A bit of ginger is excellent with the rest of the ingredients.
Black peppercorns - You will be adding these into the instant pot whole.
Curry powder - If you're a fan of curry, curry powder is a must.
Lentils - Cooking lentils in the instant pot creates the perfect texture.
Basmati recipe - I like using this type of rice because it cooks to a nice size and pairs well with the texture of the lentils.
Salt - To taste.
Water - Added to the Instant Pot to cook the lentils and rice.
Turmeric powder - The flavor of this powder stands out so perfectly in this recipe.
Ghee - You can use butter if you don't have ghee, or check the Best Substitutes for Ghee for even more ideas.
How to make Instant Pot Khichdi
Once you have all the needed ingredients to make khichdi from scratch, it's time to get started with the step-by-step directions below.
Step One: Add the oil, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, curry powder, and ginger to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
Step Two: Once you've added all the seasonings, press “Sauté” for 5 minutes.
Step Three: Add the rice to the Instant Pot.
Step Four: Add the lentils, water, salt, and turmeric powder.
Step Five: Put on the lid to the Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
Step Six: Do a quick release. Remove the lid once down, and luff up with a fork to loosen up the ingredients.
Add yogurt - If you want to make this a creamier texture, you can scoop some Greek yogurt into your bowl. The lentils and rice can go on top, or you can mix them around and make quite the dish.
Add protein - Even though this wouldn't necessarily make it authentic any longer, adding some shredded chicken or tofu can be a great way to increase the protein.
- Be sure to rinse the rice and lentils before cooking. This washes off the excess starch so that they don't stick together when they're cooking. The water will actually run clear while you're rinsing the rice and lentils, showing you that the excess starch has been washed away.
I like to use red lentils and cook them in the pressure cooker, but you can use any type of lentils that you want.
There are many health benefits of khichdi. Some of them are that it's easily digestible, a good source of protein, and a balanced meal.
This delicious lentil dish is best served warm. I like to top it with fresh cilantro or chives for the best flavor.
Yes, you can either purchase ghee at the store or make homemade ghee using your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Rice Recipes
Looking for more delicious recipes using rice? Here are some other delicious options that you're sure to love.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment below. Thanks!
Instant Pot Khichdi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ cup lentils washed
- ½ cup basmati rice washed
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Press the "saute" button on the Instant Pot and add the oil.
- Add in the cumin seeds, black peppercorns, curry powder, and ginger and saute for 1 minute. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add the rice, lentils, water, salt, ghee and turmeric powder and saute for 1 minute. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Put on the Instant Pot lid and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, do a quick release.
- Remove the lid and fluff the mixture with a fork.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Be sure to rinse the rice and lentils before cooking. This washes off the excess starch so that they don't stick together when they're cooking.
- I like to top it with fresh cilantro or chives for the best flavor.
- In my opinion red lentils are the best for this recipe, but you can use any type you like.
1 thought on “Instant Pot Khichdi”
I made this exactly as written, and it was soup...there was no 'fluffing with a fork.
Is 4 cups of water the right amount...that seems like a lot of water for 1/2 cup of lentils/rice.
I simmered it without a lid to reduce the liquid, but by that time it turned to mush. Don't get me wrong, it still tasted Awesome, but the consistency was more like something you would serve OVER rice.
I'm going to try it again with half the water.
Not complaining, just wondering.