Instant Pot Khichdi is a perfect pocket-friendly recipe as well as a light on your tummy.
It is perfect for the main course and helps to please rice lovers in only 10 minutes total!
Sprinkled over with a drizzle of ghee, yogurt, and some fresh chopped parsley this recipe makes a great warm comfort meal.
What is Khichdi?
Khichdi it's an Indian recipe of rice and lentil porridge.
Khichdi aka Pongal is the perfect comfort food having mild South Asian flavors.
What kind of lentils should I use?
You can use any of your choices. For me, I have utilized red lentils.
Use moong daal, yellow split beans, or what you have already got in the kitchen.
Pro Tip: Make sure to rinse the lentils and rice as well.
So you get cleaned off if there's any dirt left.
What are the health benefits?
Khichdi has a list of benefits, some of them are:
- Balanced food
- Easy to digest
- Source of strength and vitality
- Light on the tummy so good if you are sick
- Detoxing meal
How to serve
Khichdi serves best when it's warm.
Sprinkle some chopped green onions before serving.
Do I have to use Ghee?
It's not mandatory but it will upgrade the recipe for sure.
You can also make homemade ghee using your Instant Pot.
How to make
Gather the necessary ingredients.
Add oil, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, curry powder, and ginger to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
Select “Sauté” for 5 minutes.
Add rice, lentils, water, salt, and turmeric powder.
Set the pot to high pressure for 5 minutes.
Do a quick release.
Dish out and serve hot.
Instant Pot Rice Recipes
Instant Pot Khichdi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ cup lentils washed
- ½ cup basmati rice washed
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Press “Sauté” and add oil.
- Add cumin seeds, black peppercorns, curry powder, and ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add rice, lentils, water, salt, ghee and turmeric powder and saute for 1 minute.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick release.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂
Welcome to my kitchen! I am Corrie, the blogger behind Corrie Cooks. I run this blog with my wife since 2017, so you can enjoy quick, easy and delicious Instant Pot recipes. Thank you for stopping by 🙂