These Pumpkin Empanadas are loaded up with delightful flavors and can be the perfect treat for Halloween.
They are easy to make and you can make them using your Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid.
Prepared with pumpkin pie flavors, these treats make an incredible pastry that you can even enjoy in breakfast.
Happy Trick-or-Treat 🙂
- What are Pumpkin Empanadas?
- Recipe Video
- Can I make Pumpkin Empanadas without Air Fryer Lid?
- How do I get orange Empanadas?
- Can I prepare it ahead of time?
- How to serve?
- Can I use a canned pumpkin?
- What else can I add?
- How to make
- Instant Pot Snack Recipes
- Instant Pot Halloween Recipes
- Instant Pot Halloween Pumpkin Empanadas
What are Pumpkin Empanadas?
These pumpkin empanadas for Halloween are quite popular during the holidays.
These are stuffed pastries filled with fun & flavors.
Can I make Pumpkin Empanadas without Air Fryer Lid?
Sure. In order to do so:
- Follow the instructions in the recipe card and make the filling and the empanadas (until step 10).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Transfer empanadas to a parchment baking sheet.
- Bake Empanadas for 15 to 20 minutes until they become golden brown and crispy.
How do I get orange Empanadas?
Don't worry, the egg yolk will do that for you!
The empanadas may not look that orange when you brush them with the egg, but after the baking you will get this beautiful color.
Can I prepare it ahead of time?
Yes. You can prepare the filling a week early and refrigerated it in an air-tight container.
How to serve?
These Pumpkin Empanadas serve best as a breakfast or as snacks on your Halloween eve.
Can I use a canned pumpkin?
Yes you... can.
you can use canned Pumpkins as well but I have used fresh in my recipe since it taste better in my opinion 🙂
What else can I add?
The filling for these empanadas is only what children relish.
You can absolutely switch around however you would prefer the fillings. There are many options for sweet empanadas and savory empanadas as well.
How to make
Gather the necessary ingredients for the perfect delight.
Cut the pumpkin, dump it in the Instant Pot and add a little water.
Set the pot to High Pressure for 15 minutes.
Do a Quick Release afterward.
Now take out the cooked pumpkin and blend it using a blender.
Add butter to the Instant Pot and Saute for 5 minutes.
Add blended pumpkin to melted butter, and add sugar.
Add cinnamon to the Instant Pot
Add some Star Anise, the amount can vary as per your taste.
Now goes in some cloves.
Mix in all the ingredients and let it cook.
Once done, dish out the pumpkin filling.
Now comes the best part!
Take puff pastry dough.
Cut shapes and designs out of it and fill them with pumpkin mixture.
Whisk egg yolk and lightly brush edges of discos with some of the egg wash.
Now put a fryer basket in the Instant pot and transfer the Emppanadas into it.
Cover the pot with an Air Fryer Lid.
Air Fry at 400F for 5 minutes.
Dish out & have fun eating these Empanadas!
If you need more help, just watch the video I made for you 🙂
Instant Pot Snack Recipes
Instant Pot Halloween Recipes
Instant Pot Halloween Pumpkin Empanadas
- 15 oz pumpkin cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- 3 cloves
- puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Place pumpkin and water inside the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick release and take out the pumpkin.
- Blend the pumpkin using a blender.
- Clean the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Press "saute" and add butter to the Instant Pot.
- Add the blended pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and mix well.
- Saute for 5 minutes and turn off the Instant Pot.
- Separate egg yolk from white. Take the egg yolk and whisk it well.
- Take puff pastry and make shapes of your choice.
- Fill the shapes of puff pastry with pumpkin.
- Brush edges of the empanadas with the egg yolk.
- Cover with another puff pastry on top and combine together.
- Brush edges and top with the egg yolk as well.
- Repeat for as much empanadas as you want.
- Place the air fryer basket inside the Instant Pot and spread butter on the bottom.
- Place the empanadas in the air fryer basket in one layer.
- Cover the pot with the air fryer lid and air fry at 400 °F for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and enjoy 🙂