Making homemade cinnamon rolls is one of my favorite things to do on a Saturday morning.
Smelling the sweet aroma of cinnamon, butter, and sugar throughout my house instantly brightens my day, and biting into a warm and gooey cinnamon roll is an experience like no other. All in all, cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite recipes to prepare.
But making most cinnamon roll recipes from scratch can be time-consuming, as some recipes take hours to prepare.
That’s why I’ve created this recipe for quick and easy Instant Pot cinnamon rolls. With only a few ingredients you probably have in your pantry, you can get mouth-watering cinnamon rolls that will taste like you spent hours making them.
How Long Do They Take to Make?
Unlike other recipes, the total prep and cook time for these Instant Pot rolls is less than an hour. The prep time is about 20 to 25 minutes, which includes preparing the dough, brushing on the cinnamon and sugar, rolling the dough up, and slicing it into individual servings. You then cook the recipe in your Instant Pot for 25 minutes.
Do I Have to Use Sugar?
Some recipes allow you to substitute sugar with other sweeteners. However, this recipe tastes best when you use real sugar in the filling, as the granules caramelize during the baking process and get a sweet, delectable treat.
If you decide to try liquid sweetener in the filling, be sure to spread it evenly across the dough. Excess liquid could cause the rolls to bake improperly and leave you with a gooey mess.
My recipe does not call for sugar in the dough, so the only sweetness comes from the filling. Taking the sugar out entirely will make this recipe more savory, so you may want to add fruit or a sugar-free icing instead.
If you are looking for a sugar-free breakfast option, check out my other Instant Pot breakfast recipes here.
Can I Add More Spices?
Some recipes call for spices like nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and cloves to make this dessert more fragrant and earthy. Feel free to add in any spices you would like — just make sure you use each of them in moderation.
Fun Additions to This Recipe
To take this cinnamon rolls Instant Pot recipe to the next level, try adding in special ingredients like:
- Orange zest: Orange adds a tangy, fresh flavor to this recipe that is perfect for Christmas
- Vanilla: Vanilla goes well with almost all dessert recipes, and adding a splash to this one instantly elevates your dish
- Cream cheese: Some cinnamon roll recipes add cream cheese to the filling. Try it for a cheesecake twist on this classic treat
Do I Have to Make the Dough from Scratch?
My cinnamon rolls in Instant Pot recipe calls for homemade dough, but you can substitute store-bought refrigerated dough instead to save time.
If you’re a fan of Pillsbury recipes, you can make Instant Pot cinnamon rolls Pillsbury style with the refrigerated crescent dough in the can. Using refrigerated dough will cut down the recipe’s total time, as you will not have to mix the dough or spend time kneading it.
Can I Use Frozen Bread Dough?
You can also use frozen bread dough in place of the homemade dough recipe. Just let your frozen dough thaw in the refrigerator the night before you make this recipe. Then flatten the dough into a rectangle, add your filling, and roll the dough as the recipe instructs.
You may want to bump up your cooking time by a few minutes if you decide to substitute frozen dough. After the rolls cook for 25 minutes in the Instant Pot, insert a fork or wooden dowel. If they still seem gooey or the fork does not come out clean, set your pot for another three minutes and then check again.
Can I Make This Recipe into a Casserole Instead?
If you have limited time, you can make an Instant Pot cinnamon roll casserole instead of making individual servings. You don’t need to go with other recipes as this is only a minor tweak.
- After you prepare and roll out your dough, slice it into one-inch pieces
- Add your pieces to a large mixing bowl and coat them with the butter, cinnamon, and sugar mixture
- Then add the coated dough pieces to the Instant Pot and cook for 25 minutes
What Recipes Can I Serve with My Cinnamon Rolls?
These delicious treats pair well with several of my other Instant Pot breakfast recipes.
My Instant Pot scrambled egg recipe can add some extra protein and nutrition to your breakfast and offset the sweetness of the rolls. You can also whip up some Instant Pot strawberry jam or one of my other jam recipes to serve alongside the rolls. Lastly, you can spread the jam inside them in place of the original filling for a healthier option.
If you’re looking for healthy icing recipes to serve on top of your rolls, try my Instant Pot almond milk yogurt recipe. This yogurt does not have any added sugar, so it will help balance out the sweetness while providing a creamy, smooth texture. However, if you would like a sweet icing, feel free to add sugar, maple syrup, or honey to sweeten it up.
For the rolls
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp melted and cooled butter
- 2 cups water for the Instant pot
For the filling
- 2 tbsp melted and cooled butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon ground
- In a mixing bowl combine flour and baking powder.
- Pour in milk and butter and Stir until the dough comes together and knead gently until smooth. Place aside.
- In another bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and granulated sugar.
- Roll the dough to a 9x12-inch rectangle. Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture you made.
- Roll the dough into a log, starting from the longer side. Cut into eight pieces.
- Place the cinnamon rolls into a springform lined with baking paper that fits your Instant pot. You can brush the sides with some butter.
- Pour 2 cups water in the bottom of the Instant pot and insert a trivet. Place the rolls on top of the trivet.
- Close the lid and Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, wait for a natural pressure release.
- Open the lid and enjoy the perfect dessert!