Got bored with the same breakfast each and every day? Wanna try something new?
Looking for a light, rich, and not-so-sweet dessert? You have to try these Instant Pot cinnamon rolls!
They are super easy to make and they taste amazing.
All you have to do is roll, brush, and dump. Instant Pot will do the rest!
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
The extremely smooth and soft dough, base filled with a hearty amount of your favorite warm cinnamon and caramelized sugar topped with your choice of frosting, I just couldn't resist even after hearing all this! You too, right?
My recipe of cinnamon rolls contains the basic traditional and simple ingredient which comes out like a whole dreamland on a plate 🙂 I have made this recipe quite simple in steps that even beginners would love after giving it a try. Make it in a batch and store and enjoy it as your every time go-to breakfast or as a dessert after dinner.
Learn how to make the soft, sweet, and heart-melting Cinnamon Rolls using an Instant Pot!
Dough - I have used the store-bought frozen dough in my cinnamon rolls to make them as quick as possible. My recommendation for you is to use pepe's bakery frozen dough as it comes out so soft and chewy but you can also use any other brand dough or even homemade if you've time to prepare it 🙂
For a vegan feel, you can read my cabbage roll recipe as well.
Sugar - I have used brown sugar as it gives a pretty brown color with my favorite gooey caramelized texture. Besides it, I've used granulated sugar to give my cinnamon rolls a good sweet flavor. And if you love caramelized dishes, have a look at my caramelized onions recipe.
Cinnamon Powder - who don't love the warm flavor and aroma of cinnamon especially when it's winter days. Consider this as an iconic ingredient of this recipe because without it these rolls are nothing!
Butter - I have used melted butter for brushing the dough to give it a yummy buttery taste and for greasing purposes.
How to make Instant Pot Cinnamon Rolls
Take a working bowl and add ⅓ cup of brown sugar to it.
Then add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder to it.
Add 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar to it.
stir mix them and set aside.
Now, take the dough and sprinkle some dry flour on the counter so the dough doesn't get stuck to it. Start rolling it to a 9×12 rectangular shape.
Cut off the excess part but don't throw it. You can reuse it in making more small cinnamon rolls.
Divide the remaining dough into 4 long strips with the knife.
Take 2 tablespoons 0f melted butter and brush it on the strips properly.
Take the prepared cinnamon-sugar mixture and sprinkle it evenly on the strips.
Roll the dough into a log, starting from a wider side first.
Repeat the process to make more rolls if needed.
Take a tin or a springform pan and place parchment paper in it. Grease the edges around and place the rolls into it.
Now, take an instant pot and pour 2 cups of water inside.
Then set the trivet in the pot and place springform on it properly.
Lock the lid and select 'high pressure' mode. Set the timer for 25 minutes.
Once done, wait for a natural pressure release.
The pretty golden brown cinnamon rolls are ready to be served.
Sprinkle some sugar, top it with some cream cheese and serve!
How To Serve
These delicious treats pair well with several of my other Instant Pot breakfast recipes.
The Instant Pot scrambled egg recipe can add some extra protein and nutrition to your breakfast and offset the sweetness of the rolls. You can also whip up some strawberry jam or any other jam recipes to serve alongside the rolls. Lastly, you can spread the jam inside them in place of the original filling for a healthier option.
For healthy icing recipe to serve on top of your rolls, try this Instant Pot almond milk yogurt recipe. This yogurt does not have any added sugar, so it will help balance out the sweetness while providing a creamy, smooth texture. However, if you would like sweet icing, feel free to add sugar, maple syrup, or honey to sweeten it up.
If you are looking for more ideas, check out What to Serve With Cinnamon Rolls.
Can I Keep The Leftovers?
Sure! No need to eat them all at once, since they taste even better the second day! You can keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days or you can freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight container or aluminum foil. Warm them up at the of serving because chilled cinnamon rolls don't taste the same as the warmed ones do!
What More Fun Additions I Can Do In This Recipe?
To take these cinnamon rolls to the next level, try adding special ingredients in its inside filling like:
- Orange zest: Orange adds a tangy, fresh flavor to this recipe that is perfect for Christmas.
- Vanilla: Vanilla goes well with almost all dessert recipes, and adding a splash to this one instantly elevates your dish.
- Fondue: Melt chocolate in the microwave or use this Instant Pot Fondue recipe.
- Cream cheese: Some people love adding cream cheese to the filling. This kind of cinnamon roll goes perfectly with morning coffee.
Can I Make This Recipe Without Using Sugar?
Some recipes allow you to substitute sugar with other sweeteners. However, this recipe tastes best when you use real sugar in the filling, as the granules caramelize during the baking process and get a sweet, delectable treat.
If you decide to try liquid sweetener in the filling, be sure to spread it evenly across the dough. Excess liquid could cause the rolls to bake improperly and leave you with a gooey mess.
My recipe does not call for sugar in the dough, so the only sweetness comes from the filling. Taking the sugar out entirely will make this recipe more savory, so you may want to add fruit or sugar-free icing instead.
If you are looking for a sugar-free breakfast option, check out my other Instant Pot breakfast recipes here.
Can I Add Some More Spices To My Recipe?
Sure! I would recommend using nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and cloves to make this dessert more fragrant and earthy.
Feel free to add in any spices you would like — just make sure you use each of them in moderation.
Instant Pot Dessert Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and a review in the comments section below. Thanks!
Instant Pot Cinnamon Rolls
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 cups water for the Instant Pot
- cream cheese for frosting, optional
- In a bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and granulated sugar.
- Roll out the dough, cut out the excess side and divide it into long strips.
- Brush the butter over the dough strips.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the dough strips.
- Fold the dough strips into a log shape.
- Take a tin or a springform pan that fits your Instant Pot and brush it with butter.
- Place cinnamon rolls inside the tin.
- Pour water the Instant Pot and place a trivet.
- Place the tin or the spring form on the trivet.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, wait for a natural pressure release.
- Open the lid, top the rolls with cream cheese frosting, and serve 🙂
- If your dough remains a bit uncooked after 25 minutes, it may because of how thick you've rolled it. There is nothing to worry about - just close the lid and cook on high pressure for 5 more minutes and wait for a natural release.
- To take these cinnamon rolls to the next level, try adding special ingredients in its inside filling like orange zest and vanilla.
- I have used the store-bought frozen dough for this recipe, but you can use homemade as well.
19 thoughts on “Instant Pot Cinnamon Rolls”
Yay! That makes me very happy to hear.