Looking for an easy dessert that you can make quickly? You can make this crowd-pleaser Instant Pot Rice Pudding recipe in no time! Eat it as is or add some fresh fruits, ice cream, chocolate or whatever you like.
And, rice pudding isn’t just for dessert either! Just like the tapioca pudding, this Instant Pot rice pudding is an amazing option to diversify your breakfast too 🙂
Why This Recipe Works
Rice pudding is an excellent option for a make-ahead dessert. You can make this Instant Pot Rice Pudding recipe in advance and have it chilling it the fridge ready to go when company arrives, which leaves you more time to socialize and enjoy your company!
Rice pudding can be difficult to get just right, but thanks to your Instant Pot, it just became a little bit easier. With the moderate heat of the Instant Pot, you don’t have to worry as much about the eggs curdling. Just follow the recipe and you’re sure to get that creamy, luxurious texture that you’re striving for.
Milk – I tend to use whole milk for the creamiest texture. But you can use any type of milk, even coconut milk works! Again, I’d go with full-fat coconut milk for the creamiest result.
Arborio rice – the type of rice you use is really important to get the texture right. Arborio rice is the type of rice that’s traditionally used in risotto. if you can’t find it, carnaroli rice or sushi rice will also work well. They are similar because they are also short grain and have a high starch content which contributes to the texture.
Sugar – you can try substituting brown sugar for a more pronounced caramel flavor.
Vanilla – if you want, you can scrape the inside of a vanilla bean and use that instead! Then you’ll get those beautiful black flecks throughout.
How to Make Rice Pudding
Gather your ingredients:
Combine Rice and Water in the Instant Pot. Cook on High Pressure for 3 minutes. Once done, wait for a natural release for 10 minutes then perform a quick pressure release.
Once the rice is done, pour in half the milk and add sugar. Whisk the rest of the milk with the egg separately.
Strain the beaten egg into the rice.
Add vanilla extract. Cook on Saute until you have creamy rice pudding.
Serve the rice pudding at room temperature.
- It’s really important to measure everything accurately in this recipe to get the perfect texture. If you add too much water, it will be too soupy, and if you don’t add enough, you’re in danger of seeing the dreaded burn notice. Measure accurately and it will come out just right 🙂
- This recipe is great to make in advance. Once it’s fully cooled, store it in the fridge until it’s time to serve. If it becomes too thick, just add a splash of milk before serving. It can be served chilled or at room temp.
How to Serve Instant Pot Rice Pudding
Just like ice cream or frozen yogurt, Instant Pot Rice Pudding is the perfect vessel for endless toppings. My personal favorites are fresh fruit such as strawberries and kiwi, or a light drizzle of caramel!
Or, if you’re more of a purist, simply garnish with a touch or cinnamon or nutmeg.
More Instant Pot Dessert Recipes
Dessert may not be the first thing that comes to mind when cooking with an Instant Pot, but there are actually so many possibilities! Try some of these popular dessert recipes:
FAQ About Rice Pudding
How do you make chocolate rice pudding?
On step 6, whisk eggs and milk with 1 tbsp cocoa powder.
How do you make lemon rice pudding?
To add a subtle lemony flavor and aroma, add 1 tsp. of lemon zest into the rice while it’s cooking.
Can I make it vegan?
Yes! To make this a vegan-friendly dessert, simply leave out the egg and use a full-fat coconut milk instead of plain milk.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Pour water, rice and a pinch of salt into your Instant Pot.
- Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, wait for a natural steam release for 10 minutes.
- Once done, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk and sugar into the pot, and stir well.
- In a small bowl, mix another 1/2 cup of milk with whisked egg and vanilla extract to obtain a creamy texture.
- Pour the mixture into your Instant Pot and stir well to let it combine with the rice.
- Press “Saute” and cook for 3 minutes, until it starts to boil.
- Take it out and let it cool at least for 20 minutes before serving.