This mouth-watering Instant Pot flan is very light and delicious. You can have it when you are craving something sweet.
The Flan aka. Spanish flan or creme caramel is a popular type of egg-based dessert. It is actually a type of custard with a caramel sauce on top.
This flan is a creamy and smooth dessert that delicately melts in your mouth. Some flans are oven-baked and they have a tendency of becoming rubbery or dried out. With the flan made in the Instant Pot, you will avoid these gone-wrong situations.
The water your pour inside your Instant Pot will make the flan into the true gourmet dessert with a silky finish.
Should I cook the flan on low pressure?
Although some may recommend a low-pressure, for this Instant Pot flan recipe it is better to go with the High pressure function.
Cooking on the low pressure will not set the flan and you may end up with an almost pourable flan that will spill over the plate.
What to use instead of plain milk?
Also, for a super creamy and thick flan, you can use condensed milk.
If you like this recipe, but still want to try something new you can try this Coconut Flan.
How to make the right caramel?
Caramel sauce here gives a really nice aroma. You can make the caramel sauce light or dark amber. It all depends on how long you cooked your sugar. The deeper color usually means more taste, but it is up to you. You can also use brown sugar instead of plain white.
How long should I keep it on fridge?
After cooking, keep the pressure cooker flan on fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
How to make Flan
Gather your ingredients:
Combine sugar and 1 tbsp of water in a saucepot to make the caramel syrup.
Cook the sugar until golden. Divide the caramel between three ramekins.
In a saucepot combine heavy cream, milk, and vanilla and bring to a simmer.
Beat the eggs in a bowl. Pour in some of the milk mixtures and whisk to combine.
Add in the rest of the milk and whisk until smooth. Strain the eggs into the ramekins, filling each up to 3/4 full.
Pour 1 cup water into the Instant Pot. Insert a trivet and place the ramekins on top of the trivet. Cover them with foil.
Lock the lid into place and cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. Once done, perform a Natural pressure release.
Remove the flan and chill in the fridge overnight.
Serve and impress your guests :]
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup water for the Instant Pot
- Combine half the sugar and water in a saucepot.
- Cook over medium heat until deep golden.
- Take out and set it aside to cool down.
- Combine the rest of the sugar, milk, heavy cream, and vanilla in a saucepot.
- Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Pour in some of the milk mixtures to temper the eggs. Pour in the rest of the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Divide the caramel among three ramekins. Pour over an egg mixture. Make sure you strain through a sieve. Cover each with a piece of aluminum foil.
- pour 1 cups of water in the Instant Pot and place trivet in the bottom.
- Place the ramekins on top of the trivet and cover with foil.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and cook at high pressure for 9 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, wait for a natural pressure release.
- Chill the flan in a fridge overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Invert on a plate and serve.