It is a rich, fulfilling, and hearty meal, with creaminess coming from the coconut milk.
The curry is characterized by amazing flavor, while not being too spicy. The lentils curry is ideal for a busy workday or just when craving some comfort food. A perfect and simple one-pot meal completely hands-free.
For this one, you really do need simple ingredients, lentils, curry paste, and coconut milk. Simple as that.
The Instant pot will do what it takes – cook the lentils to perfection. They are not hard to cook, but with the Instant pot, they really look and taste different. Due to high-pressure cooking, they will be super tender and rich in flavor.
Do I have to use red lentils?
It is not mandatory. You can use any type of lentils you have. Green, black or red. No pre-soak needed.
Do I need a red curry paste?
Red curry paste is not always available. If you cannot find the red curry paste then just use the curry powder. The rule is to substitute 1 tbsp of curry paste for 1 tsp curry powder. If you want that red color, you add 2 tbsp tomato paste.
Is coconut milk mandatory?
Yes on this. Nothing beats coconut milk in lentil curry. You cannot expect the same flavor without the coconut milk or creaminess. Coconut milk is a must-have. Still, if you do not have one, you can use almond milk. It will not have the same consistency but will work. Heavy cream is another good option but stick with the coconut milk when possible.
How to make:
Gather your ingredients:
Heat oil in Instant Pot on Saute. Add carrots, garlic, and onion and cook for 6-7 minutes.
Add lentils and red curry paste. Stir gently.
Add coconut milk, vegetable broth strained tomatoes, and stir gently.
Lock lid into place. Select Manual and set to High pressure. Set the timer to 8 minutes.
Perform a quick pressure release and serve curry warm.
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 can strained tomatoes
- 6 tbsp red curry paste
- Lime and cilantro for garnish
- Add oil in an instant pot and press “sauté”, add garlic, onions and carrots into it.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes till the onions turn brown and the sides of carrots are seared.
- Add lentils and red curry paste and stir well, turn off “sauté” function.
- Add remaining contents and mix. Press “pressure cook” and let it cook for 8-10 minutes.Perform a quick pressure release.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with lime and fresh cilantro.