Well, Japanese cuisine has much more to offer beyond sushi rice!
This is a yummy fragrant Japanese curry that is quick and easy to make.
What chicken cut to use?
I made this Instant Pot Japanese curry recipe using chicken thighs.
You can use chicken breast or any other part you like, just make sure the chicken is boneless, skinless & cut into bite-size.
What is Japanese Curry?
the Japanese curry is a chicken-based curry, that is quite popular across Asian restaurants. The curry was introduced to Japan in late 1800 by the British and originally was made with curry powder. The Japanese adapted curry to their own version, Curry Rice soon after. By the 1950s the curry roux in block form was sold in stores and everyone could make it easily at home.
Japanese vs. Thai Curry?
The Japanese curry has a thicker consistency and its taste is on the sweeter side. It is also less spicy and is ideal even for kids.
How to serve curry?
Serve the Japanese curry with rice, over potatoes, and with some pickled ginger on the side.
How to make Japanese curry?
Gather your ingredients:
In Instant Pot combine all ingredients, except the coconut milk. Make sure the curry cubes are on top.
Lock the lid into place. Select Manual and cook on High pressure for 4 minutes.
Open the lid and stir in coconut milk.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 lb chicken thigh, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 4 red potatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 package Vermont curry paste (6 squares)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Add all the ingredients, except the coconut milk and curry paste, to the Instant Pot.
- Plop the curry paste on top of the other ingredients.
- Close the lid and cook at High Pressure for 4 minutes.
- When the cooking time ends, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid, add the coconut milk, and stir continuously for 1 minute.
- Serve and enjoy!