Coconut rice is an amazing side dish that gives a touch of exotic twist to any dish. It is very simple to make, and you can serve one with fish or curry.
Although it is made with coconut and dried fruits, this Instant Pot coconut rice is not a dessert but a delicious side dish.
The coconut rice is a classic side dish in the Caribean area. It is made with coconut, rice, and the addition of cinnamon, cloves, and anise star. As a special touch, some dried currants are added. If you do not have currants, you can use cranberries as well.
How to get perfect rice?
1. Rinse the rice – This is a must for the perfect fluffy coconut rice. I normally rinse the rice once, but I rinse until the water is clear, when making coconut rice. This removes excess starch and makes rice fluffy.
2. Soak the rice – The coconut rice has an addition of coconut and this calls for more water. But more water may make the rice structure weird. So, I like to soak my rice in water for 20 minutes. this gives perfect rice, without adding to excess liquid.
3. Do not stir – Once you add all the ingredients and start cooking, do not stir. This step is not usually done, but I have seen people who stop the Instant pot so they could stir the rice. The Instant pot will cook the rice to perfection, so there is no need of checking upon him.
Which rice to use?
For this Instant Pot coconut rice recipe, I used Basmati rice. I find it pairs perfectly with the coconut and spices. You can use plain white rice or even brown rice. Make sure you adjust your cooking time regarding the rice type. For help, you can use this rice calculator.
What else to add?
As you will see, I have topped the rice with some cashews. You can try using salted roasted cashews or other types of nuts. The rice can be topped with chopped coriander leaves, parsley, or tarragon leaves. To get an elevated coconut flavor, you can add 1/4 cup of coconut milk into the Instant Pot
How to make coconut rice
Gather the ingredients:
Heat oil on Saute on Instant Pot. Add spices and cook for 30 seconds.
Add rinsed rice and the rest of the ingredients.
Lock the lid into place. Cook the rice for 6 minutes at High Pressure. Once the cooking cycle is done, release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes.
Serve rice. Feel free to top with cashews.
- 2 cup rice soaked and drained
- 4 cup water
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 tbsp aniseed
- 1/4 tbsp cloves
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut grated
- ½ cup coriander leaves to garnish, optional.
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts to garnish, optional.
- 1 tbsp salt
- Put the canola oil, aniseed, cinnamon powder and cloves in the Instant Pot and select "saute".
- Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and stir a bit.
- Add the rest ingredients and saute for 1 minute.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, wait for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Once done, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Serve with some fresh coriander leaves and grated coconut flakes.