Once you make Instant Pot Coq Au Vin, you're going to never want to cook this French delicacy any other way. It's not only fast with a cook time of just 30 minutes, but the fresh ingredients and flavors are amazing as well.
It's time to create a feast that will leave everyone amazed and make this delicious cuisine. Sometimes pushing yourself out of your comfort zone in the kitchen is the perfect thing to do!
One of the bonus perks of cooking this dish is that your house is going to smell amazing as well! The added herbs and ingredients will have your nose feeling like it's taking a tour of France!
What used to be viewed as a difficult and time-consuming dish is no longer true. You can easily make this simple Coq Au Vin recipe for the perfect weeknight meal.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
Tender chicken and vegetables in every single bite? Yes, please! And pairing that with a broth that will have you sipping the bowl is what this simple dish is all about.
- Fast and flavorful
- A great way to make a healthy dinner that the whole family can enjoy
- Perfect for a fast weeknight meal while being able to use ingredients you already have at home
What is Coq Au Vin?
Coq Au Vin is a classic French recipe that is made using red wine, tender chicken, bacon, and other vegetables. This is often served for dinners at home or dinner parties with family and friends as well.
Most times, the recipe directions call for a slower cooking method which can take several hours to make. However, this is why using the Instant Pot really does add quite the benefit.
Bacon - I like using thick-cut bacon, but you can use any type of bacon that you prefer.
Onion - A sweeter onion is a nice flavor addition, but any onion will work.
Garlic cloves - Minced garlic adds the most flavor to this dish, but garlic powder will also work.
Tomato paste - Perfect for adding thickness as well as a hearty flavor.
Carrots - Diced carrots add a great natural sweetness and crunch.
Chicken legs - We are using chicken leg quarters, means thighs and drumsticks together. You can also use boneless and skinless chicken thighs so you don't have to worry about removing any bones.
Mushrooms - Fresh mushrooms or canned mushrooms work great.
Red wine - Zinfandel or Burgundy wine works great, but you can use your favorite red wine and even Instant Pot Homemade Wine.
Chicken broth - The broth and the wine paired together help to create a delicious sippable broth.
Bay leaves - For flavoring only, not to be eaten.
Thyme - Dried thyme works well.
Salt and pepper - To taste.
Fresh parsley - A delicious topping suggestion.
How to make Instant Pot Coq Au Vin
Work your way down the list of ingredients above and make sure that you have them all before getting started.
Step One: Select sauté on the Instant Pot for 5 minutes and add the bacon. Cook all the way, and then remove the bacon from the Instant Pot.
Step Two: Add the diced onion, tomato paste, and minced garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes.
Step Three: Add the broth, red wine, thyme, chicken, bay leaves, carrots, salt, pepper, and mushrooms. Put on the Instant Pot lid.
Step Four: Set the instant pot to “Manual” at high pressure for 15 minutes. Do a quick release.
Step Five: Open the lid of the instant pot and select sauté for 5 minutes.
Step Six: Add in the parsley and cooked bacon, and stir with a wooden spoon.
Serve and enjoy.
Leave out the wine - If you don't want to add in the red wine, don't. You can use apple cider vinegar in place of the wine.
Change up the flavor of wine - In terms of wine flavor and taste, Zinfandel or Burgundy wine works best, but you can use your favorite type of wine.
Use a different cut of chicken - For this recipe I'm using chicken leg quarters including drumsticks and thighs. You can use any type of chicken meat that you want like skinless chicken thighs or boneless chicken breast.
- Be sure to check that the chicken is cooked all the way before eating. Using a meat thermometer is the easiest and most accurate method to test the internal temperature of the chicken. As long as the reading is at least 165 degrees, the chicken should be safe to eat.
How to serve
Serving this as is taste amazing, but you can also serve it over the top of Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, Instant Pot Brown Rice, or even Instant Pot Quinoa.
If you want to leave the chicken skin on, you can. I choose not to for my recipe, but it's up to you.
Leaving the skin on the chicken will create a different texture.
There is a chance that you'll be able to taste the wine in the recipe. The other added ingredients provide a stronger overall taste, but you'll still get a hint of wine flavoring.
Leftover coq au vin is so good! Just put it into an airtight container and store it in the fridge. It should stay fresh for up to 5 days to eat and enjoy.
Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Here are some more of my favorite chicken recipes to cook perfectly in the Instant Pot!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment below. Thanks!
Instant Pot Coq Au Vin
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 carrots diced
- 1 ½ lb chicken leg quarters
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Select "saute" and add bacon. Cook for 5 minutes and then take the bacon out of the Instant Pot. Stir so that the bacon cooks all the way.
- Add the diced onion, tomato paste and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Stir.
- Add in the broth, red wine, thyme, chicken, bay leaves, carrots, salt, pepper and mushrooms. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Put on the lid and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Take off the Instant Pot lid and select "saute".
- Add the parsley and put the cooked bacon back into the Instant Pot. Stir well.
- Serve and enjoy.
- If you want to leave the chicken skin on, you can. I choose not to for my recipe, but it's up to you.
- If you don't want to add in the red wine, don't. You can use apple cider vinegar in place of the wine.
- You can use a different cut of chicken like skinless chicken thighs or boneless chicken breast.