This simple Cornish hen recipe will be a great solution if you need to quickly bake chicken, but at the same time maintain softness and juiciness. With your Instant Pot, the cooking time will be only 25 minutes, and the taste would be amazing!
Adding lemon, oil and fresh herbs will make the meat very tasty and aromatic.
Is it a one-pot meal?
Yes it is! You have these delicious potatoes as a side dish.
Can I use sweet potatoes instead of the potatoes?
Yes you can. Instructions stays the same.
Can I use rice instead of the potatoes?
Can I use frozen cornish hen?
Yes you can! In this case, cook the chicken for 30 minutes instead of 25.
Do I have to use garlic?
For this recipe I’m using garlic twice:
- Minced garlic clove for the mixture I rub the chicken with.
- A whole head of garlic for the cooking. I don’t peel it, just cut it in half and place as is.
In my opinion the garlic really upgrades the recipe and emphasize the taste of chicken meat.
Anyway If you don’t like it you can take it out.
How to make the Cornish one crispy?
If you want to get crispy meat, just broil it in the oven for 10 minutes, right after cooking in the Instant Pot.
That way you will make the cornish hen crispy outside and soft inside!
What to do with the bones?
You can use the remaining bones to make these Instant Pot Chicken Broth. Simple and economy!
- 1 cornish hen
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 garlic cut in half
- 6 potatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 slices lemon
- Grease the chicken with butter and season with a mixture of salt, lemon zest, minced garlic, and fresh thyme.
- Pour the olive oil into the Instant Pot and press the “Sauté” button.
- Add the cornish hen and cook for about 3 minutes per side, until it browns.
- Add potatoes, garlic and fresh thyme.
- Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, wait 5 minutes for a natural pressure release,
- Once done, do a quick pressure release (Set the valve to "venting").
- Open the lid and serve with lemon slices.
- Optional - broil the cornish hen in the oven for 10 minutes before serving.