These pressure cooker cabbage rolls take only 25 to make, yet they taste like the flavors have been melding for hours! They are small, but they are packed with flavor, healthy, and fun to eat.
Try this Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls recipe for dinner tonight! Keep reading for some helpful tips.
Table of Contents
Can I Make These Without Turkey?
Yes! If you don’t love turkey, you can replace ground turkey with ground pork, beef, or chicken. We also have a recipe for vegetarian cabbage rolls for your vegetarian and vegan friends.
Is Ground Turkey Better For You Than Ground Beef?
Ground turkey typically contains a smaller fat percentage than ground beef, but this isn’t always true. If you are looking for a low-fat protein option, select ground meat that is at least 90% lean, whether you use beef or turkey.
Ground white meat turkey is very lean—usually 97-99 percent thin—so it’s very healthy but can be slightly lacking in flavor. A mix of white and dark meat about 90 percent lean is a healthy and flavorful choice.
The packaging doesn’t always specify whether it’s white or dark meat, but the fat percentage and color of the turkey should give it away. Ground turkey made entirely with white meat is significantly lighter in color than a mixture of light and dark meat.
Can I Use Vegetable Oil?
Yes, if you don’t have avocado oil you can use any neutral vegetable oil or canola oil. If you can, I highly recommend trying avocado oil—it’s filled with antioxidants and heart-healthy fatty acids, making it one of the healthiest oils!
What Should I Serve These With?
Just like the Instant Pot cabbage soup, this recipe is excellent for a smaller meal served just on its own, but they are also perfect to pair with mashed potatoes or
Instant Pot Cabbage Recipes
Instant Pot Corned Beef And Cabbage
Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounce tomato paste
- 28 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Separate the cabbage leaves.
- Turn on the instant pot and select sauté.
- Add oil, onion, garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add thyme, turkey, oregano, salt, pepper and sauté for 4 more minutes while stirring continuously.
- Add the mixture to a bowl
- Place mixture into the cabbage leaves and roll them. Place them in a suitable Bowl.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot. Add water and put the bowl with the prepared cabbage rolls on the trivet.
- Cook at high pressure for 18 minutes.
- Once done, wait for a natural pressure release.
- Open the lid and remove the bowl with the rolls.
- Remove the water and the trivet from the Instant Pot.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Press Sauté and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce on a plate and add rolls on top. Serve and enjoy!
9 thoughts on “Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls”
Do you just boil the whole head of cabbage?
You can, but I find it easier to separate the leaves first, and then boil the leaves. That may you don't have to handle the cabbage when it's hot and the leaves are more delicate after boiling.
Do you boil the cabbage first to separate the leaves?
Good question, yes! You have to quickly boil the cabbage so that the leaves become pliable and easier to roll. This should only take 3-5 minutes.
Do you cook the rice first or roll it without cooking it first. There is no step for it
Unless I'm missing something, there is no mention of rice in this article other than in your question. And yes, a great question, as rice is usually used in making cabbage rolls.
No rice in this recipe, but you can always add it to the filling if you'd like to try.
Not sure how this recipe creates rolls—is there a step missing?
You are right that you for letting me know, I made the correction to the recipe 🙂