Yes, you can also make Sloppy Joes in your Instant Pot.
This is an easy recipe that you can cook yourself in less than 15 minutes and get a dish that is much better than any restaurant!
Perfect party food for holiday, family gathering or any special dinner.
- What is Sloppy Joes?
- What meat to choose?
- How to make the special sauce?
- Can I just cook the Sloppy Joes in strained tomatoes?
- Do I need vinegar?
- Do I have to use cornstarch for this recipe?
- How to add cornstarch?
- How to make
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Recipes
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
What is Sloppy Joes?
A Sloppy Joe represent a meat sauce served over burger buns. It is actually a type of hamburger. Still, unlike classic burgers, the Sloppy Joes are much juicier and has a much better flavor.
The name "Sloppy Joe" is probably due to the potential mess you can make while eating loosen meat 🙂 still, who cares when these are so delicious and easy to make.
What meat to choose?
I do not recommend using poultry, just because it would be a blasphemy. Stick to quality meat that has some fat on it. This will ensure your Sloppy Joe is super delicious and moist.
How to make the special sauce?
Making the special sauce for this Instant Pot Sloppy Joes is easy-peasy. It is a mix of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, tomato paste, chili powder, and vinegar or lemon juice. This will give you an ultimate burger experience and the sauce is something you must have.
Can I just cook the Sloppy Joes in strained tomatoes?
I have tried that and I do not recommend it because you will end up with a weak Bolognese sauce.
The combo from the special sauce is what gives that amazing flavor. It would be such a shame to waste good beef. Bolognese is for spaghettis and not Sloppy Joe.
Do I need vinegar?
Well, you do not actually need vinegar, but you need something to give a bit acidity and to balance the flavors.
You can choose lemon juice or go with balsamic vinegar. Just use the same amount as it says in the recipe. The acidity is quite important so do not skip this.
Do I have to use cornstarch for this recipe?
No, but it will improve the taste for sure. And as you can see below, it's really easy to add cornstarch :]
How to add cornstarch?
How to make
Gather your ingredients:
Combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar or lemon juice, chili powder, and tomato paste in a bowl. Keep aside.
Brown beef in instant Pot on Saute. Add garlic as well.
Once the beef is browned, add onion and chopped bell pepper.
Cook for 2 minutes and add the sauce and broth. Stir gently.
Lock lid into place. Cook the beef in High pressure for 7 minutes. Perform a quick pressure release once the cooking cycle is done.
Whisk cornstarch and water in a bowl and pour into the Sloppy Joe sauce.
Saute until the sauce is thickened for 2-3 minutes. Serve sauce over hamburger buns.
If you like this recipe, check out the Instant Pot French Dip.
Instant Pot Ground Beef Recipes
Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ large onion chopped
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup beef broth
- ½ cup ketchup
- ⅔ cup green bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped, optional
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 hamburger buns for serving
- Mix together brown sugar, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder and keep aside.
- Put olive oil, beef and garlic into the Instant Pot and select “Sauté”.
- Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add peppers and onions and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- add beef broth and ketchup mixture and mix a bit.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Mix together water and corn starch in a small bowl and add the mixture to the Instant Pot.
- Saute for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Serve with buns and enjoy :]
Welcome to my kitchen! I am Corrie, the blogger behind Corrie Cooks. I run this blog with my wife since 2017, so you can enjoy quick, easy and delicious Instant Pot recipes. Thank you for stopping by 🙂