A Sloppy Joe represent a meat sauce served over burger buns. It is actually a type of hamburger. Still, unlike classic burgers, the Sloppy Joes are much juicier and has a much better flavor.
The name “Sloppy Joe” is probably due to the potential mess you can make while eating loosen meat 🙂 still, who cares when these are so delicious and easy to make.
What meat to choose?
I do not recommend using poultry, just because it would be a blasphemy. Stick to quality meat that has some fat on it. This will ensure your Sloppy Joe is super delicious and moist.
How to make the special sauce?
Making the special sauce for this Instant Pot Sloppy Joes is easy-peasy. It is a mix of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, tomato paste, chili powder, and vinegar or lemon juice. This will give you an ultimate burger experience and the sauce is something you must have.
Can I just cook the Sloppy Joes in strained tomatoes?
I have tried that and I do not recommend it because you will end up with a weak Bolognese sauce.
The combo from the special sauce is what gives that amazing flavor. It would be such a shame to waste good beef. Bolognese is for spaghettis and not Sloppy Joe.
Do I need vinegar?
Well, you do not actually need vinegar, but you need something to give a bit acidity and to balance the flavors.
You can choose lemon juice or go with balsamic vinegar. Just use the same amount as it says in the recipe. The acidity is quite important so do not skip this.
Do I have to use cornstarch for this recipe?
No, but it will improve the taste for sure. And as you can see below, it’s really easy to add cornstarch :]
How to add cornstarch?
How to make Sloppy Joe
Gather your ingredients:
Combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar or lemon juice, chili powder, and tomato paste in a bowl. Keep aside.
Brown beef in instant Pot on Saute. Add garlic as well.
Once the beef is browned, add onion and chopped bell pepper.
Cook for 2 minutes and add the sauce and broth. Stir gently.
Lock lid into place. Cook the beef in High pressure for 7 minutes. Perform a quick pressure release once the cooking cycle is done.
Whisk cornstarch and water in a bowl. Pour into the Sloppy Joe sauce.
Cook on Saute until the sauce is thickened. Serve sauce over hamburger buns.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped, optional
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 hamburger buns
- Mix together brown sugar, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder and keep aside.
- Put olive oil, beef and garlic into the Instant Pot and select “Sauté”.
- Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add peppers and onions and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- add beef broth and ketchup mixture and mix a bit.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, do a quick pressure release.
- Mix together water and corn starch in a small bowl and add to the Instant Pot.
- Cook for 2 minutes until sauce becomes thick stirring continuously.
- Serve on buns and enjoy.