Who loves fried rice and seafood? If this is you, you're going to love the flavors of this Instant Pot Shrimp Fried Rice! It's not only fast and simple to make, but it's ready to enjoy in just 10 minutes!
Forget sitting around and ordering takeout - and just make it at home yourself. Cooking fried rice with shrimp isn't hard to do at all, and I'm going to give you all the tasty tips!
I'm always amazed when people order fried rice at a restaurant because they say it's too complicated to make at home. That couldn't be further from the truth - and this recipe will show you just that!
If you're craving a simple and easy fried rice recipe, I highly recommend that you give this a try. I love how the Instant Pot takes charge and cooks everything to perfection. No dried-out rice or overcooked shrimp here!
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe works because it's awesome. I've eaten a lot of fried shrimp in my life, and I always come back to my own recipe. It's so simple to do, and I can literally change up the taste to how I like it and what I love.
- It's easy to prep and make in just 10 minutes.
- You can use leftover rice and save time and money.
- You can opt to add shrimp or not - totally up to you!
- Everyone will love eating this as lunch, dinner, or a quick snack!
Shrimp- Choose whatever size shrimp that you want. I always choose ones that are deveined and cleaned and ready to use. I think that medium shrimp tend to work best.
Corn- You can use fresh corn or frozen corn.
Pea and Carrot- Save yourself even more prep time and use a pack of frozen peas and carrots.
Rice - Should be cooked in advance. I would personally recommend you to use Jasmine rice or Basmati rice as it's a nice texture with the shrimp and veggies. Since we are using cooked rice, you basically can use any rice type you like - black, brown, whole grain rice etc.
This recipe is a great way to use leftover rice instead of just reheating or throwing it away.
Soy Sauce - This is what adds a lot of that saltiness to the fried rice and gives it a golden coloring.
How to make Instant Pot Shrimp Fried Rice
Gather up the list of ingredients before starting. This recipe is fast, so there is no time to waste!
Step One: Add two tablespoons of olive oil into the pot.
Step Two: Add ½ teaspoon of sesame oil.
Step Three: Press the saute button for 10 minutes.
Step Four: Add the shrimp into the pot and saute until the thickest part of the shrimp is opaque. Take out the shrimp.
Step Five: Add the frozen peas and carrots into the pot.
Step Six: Add two garlic cloves.
Step Seven: Add ½ cup of frozen corn.
Step Eight: Crack an egg and add it to the Instant Pot. Mix all the ingredients together using a wooden spoon until the egg is cooked.
Step Nine: Add the cooked shrimp back into the Instant Pot.
Step Ten: Add a cup of cooked rice into the pot and stir well.
Step Eleven: Add 3 tablespoons of green onions and continue mixing.
Step Twelve: Add 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and stir.
Step Thirteen: Add one teaspoon of black pepper and ½ teaspoon of salt. Stir.
Serve in a bowl or plate - and enjoy!
Change up the protein - You can leave out the shrimp and do Instant Pot Fried Rice or instead use chicken or beef.
Vary up the seasonings - Add spice like cayenne pepper or not. The best part is that it's easy to change and do each time you make this dish.
- This recipe does have you cooking the rice first. Make sure that you plan for that during your prep time.
- If you can serve and eat this fresh, it will have the best texture and taste.
Cooking rice in the pressure cooker is a breeze. if you don't have leftover rice, just make some rice using this Instant Pot Jasmine rice recipe and you are done 🙂
Using the instant pot to cook rice means that you won't have to worry about dried our rice ever again. For more info, you can check out my tips on Is the Instant Pot a Good Rice Cooker?
Fried rice can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge. When you reheat it, you may want to add in some extra soy sauce or butter so that it helps to add moisture to soften the rice.
Yes, there's no rule book that states that you have to cook the shrimp with it. I just like the flavor, but you can make it without as well.
As long as you're using gluten free soy sauce, this recipe should be fine to eat if you're eating gluten free. (Make sure to always verify and check the ingredients before cooking!)
No. For this recipe we are using cooked rice. If you are looking for shrimp recipe with uncooked rice, you should make this Instant Pot Shrimp Biryani recipe - a great one pot meal!
More Instant Pot Shrimp Recipes
I love shrimp so much that I wanted to share these other shrimp recipes with you. You can never have too many yummy shrimp dishes!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment below. Thanks!
Instant Pot Shrimp Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 egg
- 1 cup rice cooked
- 3 tablespoon green onion
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add 2 tablespoon of olive oil and ½ teaspoon of sesame oil to the Instant Pot and press "saute" for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 lb of shrimp into the Instant Pot and saute until the thickest part of the shrimp is opaque. Take out the shrimp.
- Add 1 cup of peas and carrot and 2 garlic cloves into the Instant pot.
- Pour in ½ cup of corn and then crack an egg inside. Stir well until the egg is cooked.
- Add the cooked shrimp and 1 cup of rice and stir well.
- Add green onion, soy sauce, salt and pepper and mix everything together well using a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂
- You can leave out the shrimp for a vegetarian meal or use chicken or beef instead.
- For extra spice, add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Since we are using leftover rice, any rice type you have will work for this recipe.