Are you looking to make a side dish but want to switch it up from the usual jasmine or brown rice? Well, I’ve got just the recipe for you! This Instant Pot Fried Rice is a quick and easy side dish that everyone is sure to love.
It’s super easy to make, and with added veggies, it’s a healthy and colorful side option too.
Why This Recipe Works
Instant Pot Fried Rice is the perfect side option. Instead of making a vegetable side and a separate rice side, this recipe is two-in-one. And it packs in the flavor!
This recipe is reminiscent of Chinese take-out fried rice, but it tastes much better and is a lot lighter than the restaurant version. And its neutral flavor profile makes it easy to adapt to fit any main course.
Jasmine rice – I use long grain jasmine rice for this recipe, but you can use basmati rice as well.
Vegetable broth – I usually use veg broth to keep it vegetarian, but you can also use chicken broth or even water.
Carrots and peas – be sure to peel the carrots before dicing. To save even more time, use a frozen carrot and pea mixture in this recipe! They can be cooked straight from frozen.
How to make Fried Rice
Gather your ingredients:
Add rice and vegetable stock to your instant pot.
Add the diced carrots and close the lid.
Turn the vent to the sealing position, press manual mode, and adjust the time to 3 minutes.
When the Instant Pot is finished cooking, allow a natural release for 10 minutes (just like we make any Instant Pot rice recipe) and then do a quick pressure release.
Move the rice to a side and press “saute.” Add oil and frozen peas and saute for a couple of minutes.
Stir well and add the beaten egg.
Saute for 2 more minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- This recipe is lightly seasoned with only salt and pepper, which makes it flexible to add whatever flavoring agents you’d like. Add a bit of soy sauce or hoisin sauce at the end of the recipe to make it a more traditionally flavored fried rice recipe.
- Feel free to add other vegetables to this Instant Pot Fried Rice recipe. Some of my favorites to add are sugar snap peas, corn, and mung bean sprouts. If you are adding a diced frozen vegetable like corn, they can be added and sautéed with the peas. If you are adding raw fresh vegetables like sugar snap peas, you may want to blanch or steam them before adding if you like them more well done, or you can add them at the end for some added texture.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Fried Rice
This recipe is a perfect side dish that pairs well with many main courses. For meat eaters, I love to serve this Instant Pot Fried Rice with Instant Pot Mongolian Beef or Instant Pot Chicken and Broccoli. For a vegetarian main, it goes quite well with chickpeas for some extra protein.
More Recipes Like This
If you liked this recipe, try the Instant Pot Rice Pilaf, which is a similar recipe but with more vegetables.
FAQ About Fried Rice
Can I use brown rice or other types of rice?
Yes, but it’s important to keep in mind that different types of rice require different amounts of liquid. This is because some rice varieties absorb more liquid than others. For example, if you are using brown rice, you’ll want to use about 1.5x the amount of broth of water and add a few minutes onto the cook time.
Is this recipe vegan?
No, this recipe is not vegan since it contains eggs. Eggs are a key ingredient in what makes the fried rice, so they cannot be omitted or it would greatly change the recipe. However, this recipe is vegetarian.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add rice and vegetable stock to the Instant Pot.
- Add the carrot and close the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, wait for a natural release for 10 minutes.
- Once done, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Move the rice to a side and press saute.
- Add oil and frozen peas to the empty place and saute for 4 minutes.
- Mix everything together and add the beaten eggs.
- Stir well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, serve and enjoy.