Comfort food should be the two words that should pop into your head with you think about making this Instant Pot Shepherd's Pie.
This delicious Scottish recipe takes just over 30 minutes to make, but will remain in your mind for days after you eat it!
The texture and combination of the mashed potatoes with the ground beef will have you geared up and ready for round two. You can make this simple homemade shepherd's pie for the colder months of the year or to feed a craving anytime you want.
This simple Instant Pot Shepherd's Pie casserole is meant to be shared with family and friends. Pair with a simple side salad and you're good to go!
Why This Recipe Works
When most people think about making a hearty recipe, they want something with hearty ingredients as well. There's nothing heartier than a dinner full of meat and potatoes!
This dinner pie recipe is perfect for making fresh or using up a few leftovers in the fridge, too! One thing is for certain - everyone is going to come running when they hear that this is on the menu!
Wow them with your Instant Pot skills by showing how you can easily make a layered pie recipe with ease.
- It's an easy recipe for your lunch or dinner!
- Every bite is full of protein, nutrients, and easy ingredients.
- It makes more than enough to have leftovers the next day!
Potatoes - Peeled and medium-sized.
Butter - Must be at room temperature. It gives a super creamy and moist texture to your mashed potatoes.
Carrots and Corns - These will hold their shape and add texture.
Onions - These will soften while they're cooking.
Ground Beef - You can use fresh or frozen ground beef for this recipe.
Butter - Used instead of oil. You can cut the amount in half and use ½ cup = 4 oz = 100g of butter as well if you don't want to use as much.
Beef Broth - Adds a more meaty flavor to the gravy.
Worcestershire Sauce - Cuts off the inherent sweetness and makes the beef richer in flavor.
How to Make Instant Pot Shepherd's Pie
Gather all the necessary ingredients as listed on the recipe card. Each one plays an important role in perfecting this simple ground beef and potato recipe.
Step One: Clean and peel the potatoes and then cut them into big pieces.
Step Two: Pour 1 ½ cups of water into the Instant Pot.
Step Three: Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot. Put on the lid and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
Step Four: Once the cooking time has passed, do a quick pressure release.
Step Five: Add ½ cup of butter into the Instant Pot.
Step Six: Add salt to your liking if needed.
Step Seven: Add Black Pepper as per your taste.
Step Eight: Mash the Potatoes using the back of your fork.
Step Nine: Dish out the mashed potatoes in a bowl and set them aside. Wipe out and clean the Instant Pot of any residue.
Step Ten: Add ½ cup of butter to the clean Instant Pot.
Step Eleven: Add 1 cup of diced Carrots.
Step Twelve: Add 1 cup of corn.
Step Thirteen: Add 1 cup of diced onions.
Step Fourteen: Add 1 ½ lbs of ground beef.
Step Fifteen: Add a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
Step Sixteen: Add ½ cup of Beef Broth.
Step Seventeen: Press Sauté and set the timer for 5 minutes.
Be sure to keep stirring the ground beef mixture continuously with a wooden spoon until the onion softens and becomes translucent and the ground beef is browned.
Step Eighteen: Be sure to use a heat-proof dish and spread the beef mixture on the bottom.
Step Nineteen: Next put a thick layer of mashed potatoes evenly on top.
Step Twenty: Put the trivet in the Instant Pot and add 2 cups of water.
Step Twenty One: Place the dish on the trivet carefully. Put on the lid and cook it at high pressure for 15 minutes.
You will see the top layer of mashed potatoes starts to change color to golden.
Step Twenty-Two: Take the dish out and garnish it with coriander leaves.
Serve this delicious and creamy Shepherd's Pie with Cabbage and Dinner Rolls!
Change the type of meat - You can use lamb, ground turkey, or even ground chicken as well.
Add more vegetables - Carrots and corn are common but you can also add peas or green beans as well.
Use sweet potatoes - This recipe can easily be used with sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes.
Add other seasonings - Since this recipe really only uses salt and pepper, you can easily use other types of seasonings.
If you want to use a potato masher to mash the softened potatoes, that works great as well.
Be sure to let the pie cool down a bit before enjoying it as well. It will firm up more as it cools, too.
How to Serve
You can serve the Instant Pot Shepherd's Pie with the juicy Corn Salad, Beet Salad, or any other side dish that you want.
You can also serve it with some soda bread or condensed milk bread as well. Since this is so hearty, a lighter side dish option like a salad may be a great idea as well.
Play around with the side dish options every time that you make it.
How to Store
More than likely, you're going to have leftovers of this ground beef and mashed potato casserole recipe. Just add a lid to the casserole dish and store it in the fridge.
How to Reheat
When you're ready to eat, just add it to the microwave and warm it back up. It'll be creamy and hot again in no time.
Looking for other ingredients to add to this simple shepherd's pie recipe? You can make the Shepherd's Pie cheesy by mixing shredded cheddar in the mashed potato mixture!
You can also add veggies of your choice to the ground meat like peas, tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc. There is no limit to the number of extra veggies that you can add or swap out.
You can also add some more spice or herbs like thyme, rosemary chili flakes, etc. to easily change up the flavor.
If you're wondering if there is a difference between a pot pie and a Shepherd's Pie, there is! The main difference between the two is that a pot pie is actually going to have a top and bottom "pie" crust, while Shepherd's pie doesn't have any sort of crust at all.
If the shepherd's pie recipe is falling apart and doesn't have a good consistency, be sure that you're measuring out the liquid ingredients correctly. Adding too much water or broth will make it runny.
Instant Pot One-Pot Meals
Looking for more easy recipes to make in the Instant Pot? Here are some of the best!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and a review in the comments section below. Thanks!
Instant Pot Shepherd's Pie
- 2 lb potatoes cut in half
- 3 ½ cups water for the Instant Pot, divided
- 1 cup butter 8 oz. total. divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup carrots small diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 ½ lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup beef broth
- coriander to garnish
- Add 1½ cup of water into the Instant Pot. Add the peeled and diced potatoes and put on the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Add ½ cup of butter, salt and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes using a fork or a potato masher.
- Once mashed, remove the potates from the Instant Pot.
- Clean the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add ½ cup butter, carrots, corn, onion, ground beef, worcestershire sauce and beef broth.
- Press "saute" and cook while stirring for 5 minutes (or until the beef is browned and no more pink remains.
To make the pie:
- Add the beef mixture into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Add the mashed potatoes as the top layer.
- Pour 2 cups of water into the Instant Pot and place the trivet inside.
- Place the casserole dish on the trivet and close the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Add coriander on top and serve.
- You can cut the amount of butter or use margarine instead.
- Make sure you're using a heat-proof dish for all the cooking steps.
- You can use a potato masher to mash the softened potatoes.
- Be sure to let the pie cool down a bit before enjoying it as well. It will firm up more as it cools, too.
- You can add veggies like peas, tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc.
- You can make the Shepherd's Pie cheesy by mixing shredded cheddar in the mashed potato mixture.