You actually need some comforting recipe for winter night dinners, Right? Here is the must-try super moist and creamy-like texture Instant Pot Shepherd's Pie Recipe!
The blend of your all-time favorite mashed potatoes with well-seasoned ground beef will make you fall in love with this recipe!
Why This Recipe Works
It's a two-layered easiest recipe for your lunch or dinner!
The creamy layer of mashed potatoes on top with the flavorful and a little savory base of grounded beef, corns, and carrots make the heart-melting combination you would ever have!
Plus point is you can also use leftovers in making of Instant Pot Shepherd's Pie 🙂
For Creamy Mashed Potatoes Layer all you need is :
- Potatoes - Peeled and medium-sized. It's a key ingredient of the recipe obviously!
- Butter - Must be at room temperature. It gives a super creamy and moist texture to your mashed potatoes.
For Grounded Meat Layer all you need is :
- Carrots and Corns - Veggies that higher the standard of seasoned meat.
- Onions - Gets soften and turns into the gravy while cooking.
- Ground Beef - Fresh or frozen whatever you want to use.
- Butter - Does a job of cooking oil. You can also replace it with margarine if you want to. You can also cut the amount in half and use ½ cup = 4 oz = 100g of butter total.
- Beef Broth - Adds in a more meaty flavor in the gravy making it more delicious.
- Worcestershire Sauce - cuts off the inherent sweetness and makes the beef richer in flavor.
How to make
Gather all the necessary ingredients as per the recipe card.
Chop the potatoes into big pieces.
Pour one and a half cups of water into the Instant Pot.
Put the potatoes into it.
Cover the lid and boil it for 8 minutes on high pressure.
Do a quick pressure release.
Add halfcup of the Butter to it.
Add salt as per your taste.
Add Black Pepper as per your taste.
Then mash the Potatoes properly with the help of a fork.
Dish out the mashed potatoes in a bowl and set them aside.
Now, add half a cup of butter to a clean Instant Pot.
Add a cup of small diced Carrots to it.
Add a cup of corn to it.
Add a cup of diced onions to it.
Add 1 ½ lbs of ground beef to it.
Add a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce to it.
Add half cup of Beef Broth to it.
Press Sauté and set timings for 5 minutes. Now keep stirring the ground Beef mixture continuously with a wooden spoon until the onion softens and becomes translucent and minced beef changes its color.
Now take a heat-proof dish and layer out the Beef mixture at the bottom of the dish.
Now make a thick layer of mashed potatoes evenly on top of it.
Set the Instant Pot's metal collapsible trivet in the Instant Pot and add 2 cups of water to it.
Place the dish on the trivet carefully. Cover the lid and cook it at high pressure for 15 minutes.
You will see the top layer of mashed Potatoes starts to change color to golden.
Take the dish out and garnish it with Coriander leaves and serve the moist, delicious and creamy Shepherd's Pie with Buttered Cabbage and Dinner Rolls!
How to Serve
You can serve the Instant Pot Shepherd's Pie with the juicy Corn Salad or Beet Salad. They will give a rich and tangy flavor to your main course.
Or you can also serve it with some soda bread or condensed milk bread. This when combined with Pie will make it a light and refreshing meal for you!
What else can I add to my recipe?
You can make Shepherd's Pie cheesy by mixing shredded Cheddar in mashed Potatoes mixture!
You can also add the veggies of your choice in the ground meat like Peas and Tomato etc
You can also add some more spice or herbs like Thyme, Rosemary or Chilli Flakes, etc.
Can I store it and reheat it?
Yes! It can be stored in a refrigerator for 3-5 days (must be packed in aluminum foil or plastic wrap) and can be stored in the freezer for months! This is never going to spoil its taste.
To reheat it, Just thaw it first if kept in the freezer and microwave it for just 2 minutes, and have the creamy, spicy and fresh shepherd's pie as it was before.
Instant Pot One-pot Meals
- 2 lb potatoes cut in half
- 3 ½ cups water for the Instant Pot, divided
- 1 cup butter 8 oz. total. divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup carrots small diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 ½ lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup beef broth
- coriander to garnish
- Pour 1½ cup of water into the Instant Pot
- Add potatoes and close the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Take out the potatoes, pour the water and place the potatoes back.
- Add ½ cup of butter, salt and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes with a fork.
- Take out the mashed potatoes and keep aside.
- Clean the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add ½ cup butter, carrots, corn, onion, ground beef, worcestershire sauce and beef broth.
- Press "saute" and saute while stirring for 5 minutes (or until the beef is browned).
Making the pie
- Pour the beef mixture into a heat-proof dish.
- Add the mashed potatoes as a top layer.
- Pour 2 cups of water into the Instant Pot and place the trivet.
- Place the dish on the trivet and close the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Add coriander on top and serve 🙂
- You can use margarine instead of butter if you want to replace butter.
- If you are going to store the Shepherd's Pie, Make sure you store it in fresh condition.
- Make sure you're using a heat-proof dish and not anything else. That's the point for your safety only.