Welcome to the best Instant Pot sandwich recipe on the internet!
These Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches are loaded up with meat that’s cooked in a delightful stock, with heaps of sweet onion and spices.
Besides being a tremendous feast, it's likewise ideal for parties and other gatherings. It’s so quick and easy to make and is sure to satisfy anyone’s taste buds.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
I don’t know about you, but I absolutely love sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! And this recipe is like the king of sandwiches.
The Instant Pot does wonders with a roast. It takes much less time than it normally would to roast in the oven and cooks more evenly. And you don’t need to wonder about overcooking because it always comes out moist and tender in the pressure cooker.
It’s a great make-ahead meal too. In this Instant Pot French Dip recipe, you can make the roast ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Then, slice enough for a sandwich or two whenever the craving hits.
Chuck roast – to keep the meat juicy and moist, I prefer to use a well-marbled chuck roast. You can also use flank steak, skirt steak or sirloin steak for this recipe.
Red wine – I love the flavor that the red wine adds! I usually use a robust cabernet sauvignon or red blend. You can leave it out if you don’t want to use alcohol.
Beef broth – this recipe calls for low-sodium beef broth to ensure it doesn’t get too salty. Taste it and see if you need to add more salt according to your preferences.
Sub rolls – I prefer a soft sub roll to soak up all those tasty meat juices, but crusty baguettes are also a great choice.
Provolone – For this Instant Pot French dip recipe, I used Provolone because it’s a great melting cheese and the flavor pairs well with the beef and spices. But honestly, use whatever type of cheese is your favorite. If you relish cheddar, you should go for it. If you want to add Swiss, add Swiss.
How to Make
Take an onion and cut it in half. Then slice the onion into thin slices.
Take 1 ½ lb chuckroast.
Now add some kosher salt and black pepper to taste, and ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder into chuck roast. Mix well.
Add butter to the Instant Pot and saute the beef for a few minutes until brown.
Take it out and place aside.
Next, pour ¼ cup of red wine to the Instant Pot and scrape the browned bits on the bottom.
Add 8 oz (1 cup) of low-sodium beef broth, the bay leaf and the chuck roast. Stir well.
Cover with the lid and cook for 1 hr 40 minutes.
Do a quick pressure release. Take out the beef, and place it into soft rolls with some Provolone cheese slices, and Voila!
Microwave for about 30 seconds until the cheese melts.
Optional - Toasted Rolls
Brush soft rolls with a mixture of butter, garlic powder and salt.
Toast for 5 minutes on 400°F in the oven or in the Air Fryer Lid until the cheese melts.
Add the beef and enjoy even more 🙂
- In the step where you sear the roast, be patient and try to get a nice brown crust on it. This will make it even more flavorful in the end, because all the brown bits get incorporated into the “jus” that becomes the dipping sauce.
- For a better sear, dry the roast with paper towels before searing. It also helps to take the roast out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to cooking so it comes up to room temp.
How to Serve
Serve it in a soft sub roll or baguette 🙂 Then, take the flavorful juices from the Instant Pot or the “jus” and drizzle it over the meat or serve it on the side for dipping.
For more delicious ideas, check out What to Serve With French Dip Sandwiches.
More Recipes Like This
In a mood for a good sandwich? Check out these tasty recipes:
Can I replace the beef?
Yes. If you are not into beef recipes, feel free to use other types of meat such as lamb, turkey, pork, etc.
Can I freeze it?
Yes. This Instant Pot French Dip freezes well. I recommend preparing the roast and then cutting it into smaller portions which will allow you to defrost a little at a time, whenever the mood strikes for one of these delicious sandwiches 🙂
Instant Pot French Dip
- 1½ lb chuck roast
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ dried bay leaf
- 1½ tablespoon butter melted
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3 soft rolls or baguettes
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- In a bowl, mix beef, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add butter to the Instant Pot and select saute.
- Put the marinated chuck roast in the Instant Pot and saute until brown.
- Remove the seared roast from the Instant Pot and put aside.
- Add red wine and scrape the brown bits on the bottom.
- Add beef broth, bay leaf, onion and chuck roast.
- Cover the lid and cook on high pressure for 1 hour 40 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Transfer the roast to a serving plate and cut into strips.
- Place beef and cheese inside the soft rolls.
- Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂