Since we can’t go out to the ball game right now, this recipe brings the flavor of ballpark sausage and peppers home.
Quick and easy to make, this Instant Pot sausage and peppers recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Perfect for those end of summer barbeques!
What Kind of Sausage Should I Use?
Just like the Instant Pot Sausage and Potatoes, for this recipe you can use hot or sweet Italian sausage links depending on your preference. Hot Italian sausage gets its spice from red pepper flakes, while sweet style sausages usually have sweet basil added to the mix. I personally like to use sweet sausage and add a pinch of red pepper flakes for the best of both worlds! If you want to diversify, you can try this Instant Pot Bratwurst.
What Can I Substitute for Beer?
Using beer adds a ton of flavor to this dish! Some of the alcohol will burn off in the cooking process, but not all of it. If you want to avoid using alcohol, you can absolutely substitute an equal amount of water, chicken stock, or non-alcoholic beer.
How Should I Serve it?
This pressure cooker sausage and peppers recipe is excellent over pasta or rice, or just by itself!
Can I use it for a sandwich?
Sure! Feel free to serve the Instant Pot sausage And peppers on sub rolls.
In this case, just remember to use a slotted spoon to remove excess liquid.
Start by sautéing the sausages in olive oil. Cook, turning every few minutes, until they’re well browned on all sides.
Remove sausages and set aside. Add a splash of beer or stock to the pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the flavorful browned bits. Add the peppers, onions, tomato paste, and spices, then return the sausages to the pot and pour remaining liquid over top.
Lock the lid and set your Instant Pot to high pressure cook for 8 minutes. After it’s done, allow pressure to release naturally for about twenty minutes.
Serve warm, topping with shredded fresh mozzarella if using.
Instant Pot Sausage And Peppers
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage links
- 2 yellow onions sliced
- 3 bell peppers red, orange, yellow sliced
- 1 cup light beer
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- ¼ tbs salt
- ¼ tbs black pepper
- 1 tbs oregano
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella optional
- Turn Instant Pot on and select to "saute".
- Add olive oil and sausages. Cook on saute, turning every few minutes, until browned on all sides.
- Remove sausages from pot and add a splash of beer or stock to pot. Using wooden spoon, scrape up browned bits.
- Add sliced peppers, onions, minced garlic, tomato paste, and spices, and saute for about 30 seconds. then
- Press "cancel" and return sausages to the Instant Pot, nestled on top of pepper and onion mixture. Pour remainder of beer or stock on top.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, allow to natural release for about 20 minutes.
- Once done, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Serve warm and top with mozzarella.
Welcome to my kitchen! I am Corrie, the blogger behind Corrie Cooks. I run this blog with my wife since 2017, so you can enjoy quick, easy and delicious Instant Pot recipes. Thank you for stopping by 🙂