Quick and easy to make, this Instant Pot sausage and peppers recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Perfect for those end of summer barbeques!
This recipe brings the flavor of ballpark sausage and peppers home.
Table of Contents
What Kind of Sausage Should I Use?
Just like the Instant Pot Sausage and Potatoes, for this recipe you can use hot or sweet Italian sausage links depending on your preference.
Hot Italian sausage gets its spice from red pepper flakes, while sweet style sausages usually have sweet basil added to the mix. I personally like to use sweet sausage and add a pinch of red pepper flakes for the best of both worlds!
If you want to diversify, you can try this Instant Pot Bratwurst.
Do I have to use red pepper flakes?
Not at all. You can use any red pepper flakes substitute or just skip it.
What Can I Substitute for Beer?
Using beer adds a ton of flavor to this dish! Some of the alcohol will burn off in the cooking process, but not all of it. If you want to avoid using alcohol, you can absolutely substitute an equal amount of water, chicken stock, or non-alcoholic beer.
How to serve?
This pressure cooker sausage and peppers recipe is excellent over pasta or rice, or just by itself.
If you are looking for a complete meal, check out What To Serve With Sausage and Peppers and find 20 delicious recipes you can make as well.
Can I use it for a sandwich?
Just like Instant Pot pulled pork or shredded chicken, this recipe is good as a main dish on a plate or on a sandwich.
Sure! Feel free to serve the Instant Pot sausage And peppers on sub rolls.
In this case, just remember to use a slotted spoon to remove excess liquid.
Start by sautéing the sausages in olive oil. Cook, turning every few minutes, until they’re well browned on all sides.
Remove sausages and set aside. Add a splash of beer or stock to the pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the flavorful browned bits. Add the peppers, onions, tomato paste, and spices, then return the sausages to the pot and pour remaining liquid over top.
Lock the lid and set your Instant Pot to high pressure cook for 8 minutes. After it’s done, allow pressure to release naturally for about twenty minutes.
Serve warm, topping with shredded fresh mozzarella if using.
Instant Pot Sausage And Peppers
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage links
- 2 yellow onions sliced
- 3 bell peppers red, orange, yellow sliced
- 1 cup light beer
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- ¼ tbs salt
- ¼ tbs black pepper
- 1 tbs oregano
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella optional
- Turn Instant Pot on and select to "saute".
- Add olive oil and sausages. Cook on saute, turning every few minutes, until browned on all sides.
- Remove sausages from pot and add a splash of beer or stock to pot. Using wooden spoon, scrape up browned bits.
- Add sliced peppers, onions, minced garlic, tomato paste, and spices, and saute for about 30 seconds. then
- Press "cancel" and return sausages to the Instant Pot, nestled on top of pepper and onion mixture. Pour remainder of beer or stock on top.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, allow to natural release for about 20 minutes.
- Once done, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Serve warm and top with mozzarella.
8 thoughts on “Instant Pot Sausage And Peppers”
Thanks this is delicious and so so easy. I served this with mashed sweet potato yummy
Great! That sounds delicious 🙂
Can you use a crockpot to make this instead? If so, how long should I cook it and on high or low?
Yes, you can cook them in the slow cooker. It is best to cook them for 6 hours on low pressure!
I am a new user of the Instant Pot, but this recipe is so amazing, quick, and easy. It is the Best sausage and peppers that I have tasted so far! Such an excellent and delish flavor!
Yes! I try to customize my recipes to make them easy to cook for the followers. I'm happy that you like it.
The photos you have pinned in your recipe are just perfect and compelled me to try them instantly. They turned out delightful and appetizing. The sausages are full of flavor and perfectly tender. I will definitely make this recipe time and again!
Oh yes! You must try it and you won't regret it. Believe me!