Instant Pot Potatoes au Gratin is a classic creamy and cheesy side dish, best served alongside your favorite meat recipes.
It is a super easy dinner, suitable both for busy weeknights and also for large family meals during the Holiday Season. Everybody will gobble them up!
What Kind of Potatoes Should I Use?
I like to use waxy potatoes such as Yukon gold for this Instant Pot Potatoes au Gratin recipe, since they tend to hold their shape better.
Lots of people prefer russet potatoes for their relatively high starch content, which can help thicken the sauce. Since they don’t hold their shape as well, they could potentially turn mushy in the instant pot.
They will still definitely work though, and it will taste delicious no matter what variety of potato you end up using!
What Kind of Milk Should I Use?
I recommend whole milk for the creamiest results. But you can use whatever you have on hand— 2%, 1%, or nonfat milk will all work for this recipe!
What is Bechamel Sauce?
Bechamel, also known as white sauce, is a mixture of flour, butter, and milk. The butter and flour mixture is lightly cooked to make a roux, and then milk is added, which results in a slightly viscous white sauce.
Using bechamel in this recipe helps the sauce to thicken properly. To make 1 cup of bechamel, use 1 tablespoon each of butter and flour to make a roux and add 1 cup of milk.
Can I Use Fresh Minced Garlic?
Yes. you can use fresh minced garlic in place of garlic powder. Use 1 tablespoon instead of 1 teaspoon.
Can I Use Dried Thyme?
The thyme in this recipe is just for garnish and color, so I like to use fresh thyme but it’s totally optional. You could sprinkle with a little dried thyme or dried parsley if you prefer.
What Type of Breadcrumbs Should I Use?
I personally like to use panko breadcrumbs or Japanese breadcrumbs which have a little more texture to them.
You can also use regular breadcrumbs that are more finely ground. Use pre-seasoned breadcrumbs for added flavor, or mix in some seasonings like salt, pepper, and garlic powder to plain breadcrumbs to spice them up.
What Should I Serve the Potatoes with?
I like to serve these potatoes with roast meat dishes like this Instant Pot Garlic Pork recipe.
- 8 potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Béchamel sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 fresh thyme
- Pour 1 cup water into your Instant Pot.
- Place the steaming basket into your Instant Pot and fill it with sliced potatoes.
- Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Once done, wait for a natural pressure release.
- Drain the potatoes and place them in a bowl.
- In a separate saucepan, heat milk and add Béchamel sauce, cheddar, parmesan, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Stir thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over your potatoes and mix well.
- Pour this mixture into a shallow casserole dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumb.
- Pour 1 cup of water into your Instant Pot and place the trivet.
- Put your casserole dish onto the trivet.
- Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, do a quick pressure release.
- Let it cool for about 20 minutes before serving. Decorate with fresh thyme.