This steak is excellently paired with garlic, herbs and butter to keep it moist and tender.
This pressure cooker herbed garlic butter beef steak is a perfect main dish for a family dinner
Instant Pot New York Strip Steak is a delicious and easy-to-make recipe that brings the flavor and tenderness of a steakhouse to your own kitchen.
New York Strip Steak, also known as top loin steak or Kansas City strip, is a popular cut of beef that is tender, juicy, and flavorful.
This is another version of the Instant Pot steak recipe, so you can diversify your family table using these two options.
- Choose a good quality steak: The quality of your steak can make a big difference in the final result. Look for a steak with good marbling and a bright red color.
- Let the steak come to room temperature: Take the steak out of the refrigerator about an hour before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature. This will help it cook more evenly.
- Season well: Don't be shy with your seasonings. Generously season your steak with salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings.
Instant Pot Beef Recipes
Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
Or check out all the beef recipes in the blog.
How to serve
This NY strip steak works great with
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
If you need more ideas, check out What to Serve With Steak Bites for 20 delicious recipes.
Instant Pot New York Strip Steak
- 2 pound beef top sirloin steaks
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- to taste black pepper
- to taste salt
- ½ cup beef broth
- Put the butter and garlic cloves in the Instant Pot and select “Sauté”.
- Sauté for 45 seconds and add beef top sirloin steaks and herb sprigs.
- Sauté for 5 minutes and add salt, black pepper, garlic powder and broth.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 13 minutes. Cooking time may change depending on the steak size.
- When cooking time is complete, wait for a natural pressure release (or for at least 20 minutes).
- Open the lid, serve and enjoy 🙂
42 thoughts on “Instant Pot New York Strip Steak”
Sorry I meant do you have to flip it before pressure cooking? Thanks!
You don't have to, but I like to flip it to brown on both sides before pressure cooking. Makes it the most flavorful.
Do you need to use a trivet to make this? And just to clarify, the 13 mins of cook time is the time once the pot reaches pressure correct?
No, you do not need to use a trivet. The steak will brown better if it's in direct contact with the pot. And yes, you are correct about the 13 min. cook time.
Can I do more than one steak at a time??
Yes, absolutely! As long as they fit in a single layer, and be sure not to have them too close together or they won't brown as well.
I'm looking at making this next week. I got a instapot for Christmas. With the cook time at 13 min. How does the steak come out I perfer a medium on the inside should I lower the time for that?
Great! This cook time is for a medium to medium rare steak, so you should be good with that.
I'm just starting out eating Carnivore, and want a delicious, fast way to cook steak, fish. Is meat able to cook rare but with a crispy exterior in an Instant Pot, much like grilled food?
Unfortunately no, the Instant Pot probably isn't the best option for that. It is possible to cook rare but the exterior will not be crispy. You could cook it rare and finish it on the grill for a crispy exterior, but you'd likely be better off just grilling. The Instant Pot is better for long, tender braises.
An air fryer does a good job of cooking and browning steaks.
I'm just starting out with my instant pot and now that we are in lockdown it's going to be fun trying all your recipes. Very thankful I found you !!!!
I love your recipes
I love your comment ^_^
Absolutely delicious! I used tri tip steak that was on sale and it fed 5 people. Cooked on high pressure for 15 mins with 17 min natural release, and it was melt in your mouth scrumptious. Will use this recipe again.
Thank you for the feedback! 🙂 I always love to hear when you guys love the recipes!
How long would you suggest for medium well?
Can I make this using NY Strip Steak?
I would do 1 minute less.