The Instant Pot Lemon Curd is great as a light dessert that is not-so-sweet. You can add it to yogurt, as a cake topping, or just eat it as is.
This perfectly creamy and rich lemon curd is easy to make and tastes amazing!
My recommendation: Try to combine it with this Instant Pot Cheesecake to get a complete and impressive cake.
What is lemon curd?
The lemon curd is a refreshing, smooth, and creamy dessert with sweet lemony flavors. For me, the lemon curd is an alternative to jam, but much lighter, still much stronger than classic custard. You can use the curd as a cake topping, spread flavoring, or sweet filling.
The use of lemon curd?
You can dig in and eat one with a spoon, but here is some suggestion on how to use it the best:
- cheesecake, as mentioned already try it with our Instant Pot cheesecake
- for flavoring; you can use the lemon curd to elevate your yogurt, ice cream, or over pudding.
- for filling; use the curd with pies, tarts, cakes, or to fill donuts
- and as a spread over bread, toast, waffles, or pancakes
How to make it perfect?
The key element of smooth and rich curd is the number of egg yolks. I have tried to make curd with fewer egg yolks, but it was a bit runny. So for the curd that is rich in texture and with intensive yellow color, always add more egg yolks.
I also experimented with the lemon zest and the difference is in the taste. For the curd with bold flavor, and the one that tastes like lemon candy I advise you to use the lemon zest. If you want a slightly less aroma, skip the lemon zest. For me, it is a bit flat tasting, but everyone has their own taste.
How to make lemon curd
Gather your ingredients
In a bowl beat eggs, egg yolks, and sugar.
Add melted butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest, whisk until smooth.
Pour the mixture into the heat-proof containers. Insert the trivet into the Instant pot and pour in 1 cup water. Place the curd on the trivet and close with a lid or aluminum foil.
Lock the lid into place. Cook on High pressure for 5 minutes. After the cooking cycle is done, wait for the pressure to release naturally.
Chill before serving and enjoy!
- 1 cup lemon juice fresh
- 3 eggs whole
- 3 egg yolks (only the yellow part)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 tbsp butter
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar until smooth.
- Add butter, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture in a heat protected glass container and cover with foil or tight lid.
- Place a trivet in the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water.
- Put the glass container on the trivet and close the lid.
- Cook for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- When cooking time ends, wait for a natural pressure release.
- Take it out and enjoy!