This delicious Instant Pot Bo Kho recipe is prepared for hearty and fragrant comfort food!
Instant Pot Bo Kho is a dump-and-go recipe.
Toss all the ingredients in the Instant Pot for this Vietnamese beef stew.
Instant Pot Bo Kho Recipe Video
What is Bo Kho?
Bo Kho is a traditional Vietnamese recipe that is made with beef, a bunch of vegetables, tomato paste, lemongrass, star anise, ginger, and garlic.
Where the main ingredient is savory Vietnamese spices.
Which vegetables should I use?
This recipe typically has potatoes and carrots only, but you can add other veggies as well. You can try:
Can I make thick Bo Kho?
The Vietnamese Instant Pot Bo Kho is not really thick by origin.
If you would like yours to be thickened then you can make a roux.
To make a roux just mix 2 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoon of flour and add it to the Instant Pot.
How to serve?
Chopped green chili
You can also add egg noodles for a complete meal.
Can I store the leftovers?
Well, you won't have leftovers for sure.
Instant Pot Bo Kho can be stored in the fridge or freezer to eat later.
Keep in an airtight container and store for up to 4 days in the fridge and several months in the freezer.
How to make
Gather the necessary ingredients.
Marinate beef shank with salt and black pepper.
Saute the instant pot for 7 minutes, add olive oil, and marinated beef.
Once the beef turns brownish, dish out.
Add chopped onion, shallot, garlic, ginger, star anise, lemongrass, star anise, bay leaves, cinnamon, fennel seeds, and, mix.
Add chicken stock, soy sauce, fish sauce, tomato paste, carrots, and cooked beef.
Set the pot to high pressure for 20 minutes.
Do a quick release.
Instant Pot Beef Recipe
Instant Pot Bo Kho
- 2 lb beef shank cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 carrot chopped
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 3 star anise
- 3 stalk lemongrass
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- Season the beef shank with salt and black pepper.
- Press "saute" for 7 minutes and add olive oil.
- Add beef and saute until brown.
- Take out the beef and keep aside.
- Add onion and shallot and saute for 1 minute.
- Add garlic, ginger, star anise, lemongrass, star anise, bay leaves, cinnamon, fennel seeds and stir well.
- Add chicken stock, soy sauce, fish sauce, tomato paste, carrots, and cooked beef and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick release.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂