Ratatouille is a classic French dish that's beloved for its hearty and rustic flavors. It's typically made with vegetables like eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, and tomatoes, and is often cooked slowly on the stovetop.
But with the Instant Pot, you can make a delicious and easy version of ratatouille in a fraction of the time. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you want a healthy and satisfying dinner that's ready in only 10 minutes.
Why this recipe works
The Instant Pot is the perfect tool for making ratatouille because it allows you to cook the vegetables quickly and evenly, without having to babysit the stove.
The high-pressure cooking helps to lock in the flavors and nutrients of the vegetables, resulting in a rich and delicious dish that's bursting with flavor.
How to serve
Ratatouille is a versatile dish that can be served in many different ways. It's delicious on its own as a vegetarian main dish, or you can serve it as a side dish with grilled chicken or fish. You can also spoon it over pasta, rice, or quinoa for a filling and healthy meal.
For a fancy presentation, you can even serve ratatouille in individual ramekins topped with fresh herbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Feel free do add your favorite vegetables and use bell peppers, white eggplant, courgette and any other special veggie you like.
- Use the best quality vegetables you can find. Look for firm and fresh eggplants, zucchinis, and bell peppers, and ripe and juicy tomatoes.
- Cut the vegetables into similar-sized pieces so they cook evenly.
- Use a mix of fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, and basil to add extra flavor to the dish
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! Ratatouille is a great make-ahead dish. You can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Can I use canned tomatoes instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use canned tomatoes if you don't have fresh ones. Just make sure to drain off any excess liquid before adding them to the Instant Pot.
Can I omit the eggplant or other vegetables?
Yes, you can adjust the recipe to your liking. Ratatouille is a very forgiving dish, so feel free to swap in other vegetables like mushrooms or yellow squash if you prefer. Just make sure to keep the cooking times in mind, as some vegetables may cook faster or slower than others.
Instant Pot Portobello Pot Roast
Instant Pot Sauteed Vegetables
Looking for more? Check out these vegetarian Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Ratatouille
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 zucchinis sliced
- 1 Japanese eggplant peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon dried pink pepper flakes
- ¼ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for serving
- In a bowl, mix all the vegetables with oil, water the spices.
- Arrange all the vegetables in the cooking pot in repeated layers.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid, add shredded cheese on top and serve 🙂