The Instant Pot dirty rice is a fulfilling dish with amazing flavor. It is not just plain rice, but a wonderful mix of veggies and spicy pork sausage. I gave it a special twist by adding Creole seasoning.
What is dirty rice?
There is nothing dirty about it…the dirty rice is a term that describes the rice that has changed the color into “dirty” by adding spices and sausage. The dirty rice unlike the other types of rice can be served as a main dish, due to meat addition.
What type of meat to use?
I am a big fan of pork sausage and I always use on. Still, for this Instant Pot dirty rice recipe you can use bratwurst, ground pork or even ground beef. Anything that works for you is perfectly fine, as long as we are talking about the ground meat.
Which rice to use?
Long-grain, short-grain, white, brown??? Yes, there are different types, and I suggest you use the one you have. I used short-grain rice. If you are using any type of white rice, you will cook it for 5 minutes at high pressure. If you are using long-grain brown rice, the cooking should be adjusted to 10 minutes, and make sure you cook the wild rice for 15 minutes.
The perfect ratio?
The perfect ratio is the ratio between rice and water. Instant Pot suggests any rice can be cooked with a 1:1 rice-to-water ratio. Still, during cooking, I learned that this is not a universal rule. You can use slightly more water when cooking brown rice, to prevent undercooking and scorching.
How to make the Dirty rice?
Gather your ingredients:
In Instant Pot on Saute, cook the sausage until browned.
Add onion and chopped bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add broth and water. Give it a gentle stir.
Lock the lid into place and select High Pressure. Cook for 5 minutes. Release pressure naturally for 10 minutes.
Serve rice warm.
- 0.5 lb pork sausage casing removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp Creole seasoning
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers red, green, yellow
- 1 cup white rice rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 small bay leaf
- Select Saute on your Instant pot. Add pork sausage and cook until browned.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Cook stirring for 5 minutes
- Add spices and herbs, Cook for 1 minute.
- Add rinsed rice, water, and broth. Stir gently.
- Lock lid into place. Select manual and set to High pressure. Cook the rice for 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle is done, perform a natural pressure release, for 10 minutes.
- Fluffy the rice with a fork and serve warm.