The Instant Pot dirty rice is a fulfilling dish with amazing flavor. It is not just plain rice, but a wonderful mix of veggies and spicy pork sausage. I gave it a special twist by adding Creole seasoning.
What is dirty rice?
There is nothing dirty about it…the dirty rice is a term that describes the rice that has changed the color into “dirty” by adding spices and sausage. The dirty rice unlike the other types of rice can be served as a main dish, due to meat addition.
What type of meat to use?
I am a big fan of pork sausage and I always use on. Still, for this Instant Pot dirty rice recipe you can use bratwurst, ground pork or even ground beef. Anything that works for you is perfectly fine, as long as we are talking about the ground meat.
Which rice to use?
There are different types, and I suggest you use the one you have. For this recipe I used short-grain rice. Just follow these cooking times:
If you are using basmati rice – cook for 5 minutes.
If you are using jasmine rice – cook for 5 minutes.
If you are using brown rice – cook for 10 minutes.
If you are using wild rice – cook for 15 minutes.
The perfect ratio?
The perfect ratio is the ratio between rice and water. Instant Pot suggests any rice can be cooked with a 1:1 rice-to-water ratio. Still, during cooking, I learned that this is not a universal rule. You can use slightly more water when cooking brown rice, to prevent undercooking and scorching.
How to make the Dirty rice?
Gather your ingredients:
In Instant Pot on Saute, cook the sausage until browned.
Add onion and chopped bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add broth and water. Give it a gentle stir.
Lock the lid into place and select High Pressure. Cook for 5 minutes. Release pressure naturally for 10 minutes.
Serve rice warm.
- 0.5 lb pork sausage casing removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp Creole seasoning
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup white rice rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 small bay leaf
- Select Saute on your Instant Pot.
- Add pork sausage and cook until browned.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Cook while stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add spices and herbs and cook for 1 minute.
- Add rinsed rice, water, and broth. Stir gently.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is done, wait for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, do a quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Fluffy the rice with a fork and serve warm.