Today, I'm here to share a simple and incredibly efficient way to cook artichokes using an Instant Pot. With this game-changing method, you'll be able to enjoy perfectly cooked artichokes without all the fuss and in a fraction of the time compared to traditional methods.
If you're anything like me, you know that artichokes can be an intimidating vegetable to cook. From their tough, spiky exterior to their seemingly long cooking time, it's no wonder many people shy away from enjoying this delicious and nutritious veggie. The Instant Pot is here to help 🙂
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
Cooking artichokes in an Instant Pot is a game changer because it significantly reduces the cooking time. Traditionally, artichokes take a long time to cook, but with the Instant Pot, they can be ready in just a fraction of that time. This means you can enjoy perfectly cooked artichokes even on busy weeknights.
Another great aspect of this recipe is that the Instant Pot ensures the artichokes are cooked evenly, so you won't end up with undercooked or overcooked parts. The pressure cooking method also helps to retain the artichokes' nutrients and flavors, making them even more delicious and healthy.
Artichokes: Use fresh, whole artichokes for the best results. Look for ones with tightly closed leaves and a vibrant green color.
Water: You'll need water to create steam in the Instant Pot for the pressure cooking process.
Lemon: Lemon juice prevents the artichokes from browning and adds a subtle tanginess. You can substitute it with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar if necessary.
Garlic: Adding a few cloves of garlic to the cooking liquid imparts a gentle garlicky flavor to the artichokes. Feel free to adjust the amount based on your preference.
Salt: A pinch of salt in the cooking liquid helps to season the artichokes as they cook.
- Trim the artichoke stems and tops before cooking to ensure they fit in the Instant Pot and for easier eating.
- Make sure the artichokes are arranged in a single layer in the Instant Pot for even cooking.
- Keep an eye on the cooking time, as smaller artichokes may cook faster.
- To check for doneness, insert a knife into the artichoke heart; it should slide in easily.
- Allow the artichokes to cool slightly before serving to make handling them easier.
How to Serve
Artichokes can be enjoyed as a delicious and healthy appetizer or side dish. The tender, flavorful leaves and the succulent heart are perfect for dipping in your favorite sauce or dressing.
Some serving ideas include:
- Pairing the artichokes with a simple lemon-garlic butter or aioli for dipping.
- Stuffing the cooked artichokes with a mixture of breadcrumbs, cheese, and herbs for a more filling option.
- Chopping the cooked artichoke hearts and adding them to salads, pasta dishes, or grain bowls for added texture and flavor.
Need more ideas? Check out What To Serve With Artichokes for 15 delicious recipes.
Instant Pot Artichokes
- 3 fresh artichokes trimmed
- 1 cup water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- salt to taste
- Combine the water, lemon juice, garlic, and salt in the Instant Pot.
- Place a steamer basket or trivet into the Instant Pot.
- Arrange the artichokes in a single layer on the steamer basket or trivet, stem side down.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is up, carefully perform a quick release to release the pressure.
- Remove the artichokes from the Instant Pot and allow them to cool.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂