A Zuppa Toscana is a Soup from Tuscany, made in one pot and including Italian sausage, potatoes, bacon, and kale. This Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana is a the perfect dish for cold days.
You an find this dish in many restaurants but you can make it yourself using your Instant Pot in a much cheaper price :]
The Zuppa Toscana is a hreat option for a one-pot meal.
Which sausage to use?
You can make the This Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana recipe with brats, mild or hot Italian sausages. You can choose whatever you like because it is just a matter of spiciness you like. For this recipe, I used mild Italian sausage. I find this more kid-friendly.
Is this soup healthy?
The Zuppa Toscana is a hearty and healthy dish you can serve to your family. It is naturally gluten and grain-free, and If you want to make a low-carb version of the soup, just use cauliflower instead of potatoes.
Can I skip the kale?
If you want to skip the kale, you can use other types of greens, like Swiss chard or spinach. In this case, it is not an original version, but if you do not like the kale at all, these may be used.
How to serve Zuppa Toscana?
Serve the soup with some warm bread, topped with cheese, or with some minced garlic on top.
How to make Zuppa Toscana
Gather your ingredients:
Cook bacon on Saute for 6 minutes.
Remove the bacon and cook sausages until browned.
Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add potatoes and the rest of the ingredients, except the kale and heavy cream.
Add kale and heavy cream. Cook for 3 minutes. Serve warm.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 brunch kale stems removed
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 russet potatoes cubed
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups chicken stock unsalted
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select saute.
- Add in bacon and saute for 6 minutes.
- Take out the bacon and set aside.
- Place the sausages in the Instant Pot and saute for 3 minutes on each side.
- Add in onions and saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes and saute for 1 more minute.
- Pour ½ cup chicken stock and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add russet potatoes and give a quick mix.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When cooking time ends, allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Once done, do a quick release.
- Open the lid and select saute.
- Add in the kale in saute for 3 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and press cancel when soup starts to simmer.
- Add in bacon, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂