What could be better, on busy days, than a quick and easy dinner that the whole family will enjoy!
This classic steak recipe is sure to make it into the weeknight rotation.
Swiss steak is a natural fit for the Instant Pot. Most recipes require pounding tough cuts of steak to tenderize it, but with the Instant Pot, there’s no need! Your pressure cooker will result in perfectly cooked, tender steak every time.
Table of Contents
What is Top Round?
Top round is a fairly lean and relatively inexpensive cut of beef. It has great flavor but can be pretty tough and chewy if not cooked properly. Slicing it thinly helps to tenderize it, and so does cooking it in a moist environment like the Instant Pot.
What Other Cuts of Beef Can I Use?
Any similar cut of beef will work for this Instant Pot Swiss Steak recipe. You could substitute a chuck roast or flank steak for this pressure cooker Swiss Steak.
Can I Use Cubed Beef?
You can make this recipe using cubed beef, just be sure to increase the cooking time a little.
Do I Need to Defrost the Peas?
Frozen peas defrost very quickly, so there is no need to fully defrost them beforehand. Cooking for 10 minutes from frozen is plenty of time to heat them through.
Can I Use Pre-Minced Garlic?
Yes, you could use pre-minced garlic for this recipe. Some say that the pre-minced garlic sold in jars has a bitter taste, but it works in a pinch and saves time and effort! You can also purchase fresh pre-peeled garlic cloves to cut down on prep time.
What Should I Serve on the Side?
Looking for more? Check out these What to Serve With Flank Steak for 20 delicious ideas that work great for this recipe as well.
Instant Pot Swiss Steak
- 2 pounds top round beef
- ½ cup carrots diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the beef into 8 to 10 pieces. Flat pieces are better.
- On the Instant Pot, select "Saute" and add the olive oil.
- Add the beef and saute for about 1 minute for each side till the it's brown.
- Add carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot. Cook for a few minutes to soften, while stirring.
- Add diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and spice. Stir together until well mix.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Once done, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid and select "saute". Add the green peas. Cook for about 10 minutes till the peas are soft.
- Turn the Instant pot off.
- Serve with egg noodles, pasta or rice.