If you love Asian food, you sure gonna love these Instant Pot Steamed Dumplings!
Their flavorful filling and their sticky texture are really mouthwatering and taste even better together with soy sauce.
Luckily, this popular Asian dish can be easily prepared with the help of your Instant Pot and it makes an excellent appetizer for any Chinese-style dinner at home.
You probably made several Instant Pot recipes already, but have you ever tried Instant Pot Potstickers? Well, this is your chance 🙂
Table of Contents
Is it vegan?
Yes! This Instant Pot Steamed Potstickers recipe is vegetarian and 100% vegan.
But before we get to the recipe, let’s have a look at several tips that may be helpful to keep the dish as authentic as possible.
The Dumpling Wrappers
In order to make dumplings, you’ll need wrappers (the dough used to wrap the mixture and shape the dumpling). In most cases, the wrappers are available in ready-to-use format in grocery stores, supermarkets, and so on. They are usually available in the produce section, but if you can’t find them, check if the store has an Asian-specific section.
Quick tip: not all wrappers are vegan, so make sure to check the ingredients before you buy anything.
Now, if you’re not in a hurry and want to discover the real experience behind this dish, you can make your own wrappers, with dough. There are lots of recipes online, so I will trust you to choose the one that works best for your needs and taste.
Also, if it happens and there are leftover wrappers, you can freeze them in an air-tight container for later use. When you want to use the ones in the freezer, let them soften for about 30 minutes to one hour at room temperature before you put them to work.
Can I add meat?
You can use a meat-based mixture instead of the one based on vegetables.
- To avoid the dumplings from sticking to the trivet, brush the bottom of the dumpling with some olive oil. It doesn’t have to be much, just a brush is enough.
- Don’t stuff the wrappers too much. If the mixture is not fully enveloped by the wrapper, your dumplings may open during the steaming phase. It’s best to start with a small amount of mixture and increase if needed.
- Dumplings are quite popular in Chinese cuisine so you can find them in soups, salads, or stir-fry dishes. Even more, you can make a big batch at once and freeze them for later. This way, when the next craving hits, you just do the steaming, which takes less time and effort.
How to serve
These Instant Pot Dumplings work great as a snack (with a dipping sauce) or as a full meal with rice or another side dish.
If you choose to serve them with sauce, you can use a simple soy sauce or a soy ginger sauce.
Need more ideas? Check out What To Serve With Dumplings for 15 delicious recipes.
How to steam frozen dumplings in the Instant Pot?
On this recipe we are making the dumplings from scratch. If you want to know how to steam store-bought dumplings in the Instant Pot, check out the instructions below:
- Pour one cup of water inside the Instant Pot.
- Place a trivet.
- Place the frozen dumplings on the trivet
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick release.
- Open the lid and serve 🙂
If you like this recipe but don't have time to make it all by yourself, check out the Air Fryer Ling Ling Potstickers where we make store-bought dumplings.
Instant Pot Steamed Dumplings
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cabbage minced
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms minced
- 9 dumpling wrappers
- 2 carrots minced
- ½ cup celery minced
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Pour sesame oil into your Instant Pot and press "saute".
- Add the minced vegetables and cook at "saute" for 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and rice wine vinegar and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove the veggies from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Place a dumpling wrapper on a cutting board and add a few drops of water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetables in the middle of the wrapper and fold it to form a dumpling.
- Repeat the process until you have 9 dumplings.
- Pour water into your Instant Pot and place a trivet.
- Place your dumplings on the trivet.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for 6 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, do a quick pressure release.
- Take them all out and serve with soy sauce. You can also garnish with sesame seeds on top.