Imagine the cozy, homely smell of a hearty soup simmering in your kitchen. That's what you get with this Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup. It's a simple, no-fuss recipe that turns the classic cabbage roll into a delicious soup. Perfect for busy days, this soup lets your slow cooker do all the work.
You just toss in the ingredients and let them meld together into a comforting meal. It's great for families, meal prepping, or just when you need a warm hug in a bowl. This soup is not only easy to make but also packed with nutritious ingredients, making it both a healthy and satisfying choice.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
Simplicity and Convenience: The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity. You don't need to be a kitchen expert to whip up this dish. Just chop, drop, and let the slow cooker work its magic. It's perfect for those busy days when you want a home-cooked meal but don’t have the time to stand over a stove. Plus, it's a one-pot wonder, meaning less cleanup and more time to relax or take care of other tasks.
Flavor and Nutrition: This soup is not just easy; it's also loaded with flavors and nutrients. The cabbage is a powerhouse of vitamins and fiber, while the ground beef adds protein and richness. The slow cooking process allows all the flavors to meld together beautifully, creating a depth of flavor that feels like it's been simmered for hours by a gourmet chef. It's a nutritious meal that doesn't compromise on taste. The combination of tender cabbage, savory beef, and hearty rice in a tomato-based broth makes for a satisfying meal that’s both wholesome and delicious.
Cabbage: A leafy green vegetable, it's the star of this soup. It adds a mild, sweet flavor. Substitute: Kale or savoy cabbage.
Ground Beef: Provides richness and protein. It's what makes the soup hearty. Substitute: Ground turkey or vegetarian meat crumbles.
Rice: Adds texture and helps thicken the soup. White rice works best. Substitute: Brown rice or quinoa for a healthier twist.
Tomato Sauce: Gives a tangy flavor and red color. It's a key ingredient. Substitute: Crushed tomatoes or tomato paste with water.
Onion: Enhances flavor with its sweet, aromatic taste. Substitute: Leeks or shallots.
- Chop the cabbage into bite-sized pieces for easier eating.
- Brown the ground beef before adding to the slow cooker for more flavor.
- Rinse the rice under cold water to prevent it from becoming too sticky.
- Add a bay leaf for extra aroma and remove it before serving.
- Cook on low for a richer flavor, but high works if you're short on time.
How to Serve
This soup is a comforting and hearty meal, perfect for chilly days. It combines the flavors of traditional cabbage rolls with the ease of a slow cooker meal.
- With Crusty Bread: Serve with a side of warm, crusty bread to soak up the delicious broth.
- Topped with Sour Cream: Add a dollop of sour cream on top for a creamy twist.
- As a Starter: Serve smaller portions as a starter before a main course.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 head of cabbage chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 can 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf optional
- In the slow cooker, combine chopped cabbage, uncooked rice, tomato sauce, and chopped onion.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef with garlic, salt, and pepper. Once browned, add it to the slow cooker.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and the bay leaf.
- Stir everything well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
• Brown the ground beef before adding to the slow cooker for more flavor.
• Rinse the rice under cold water to prevent it from becoming too sticky.
• Add a bay leaf for extra aroma and remove it before serving.
• Cook on low for a richer flavor, but high works if you're short on time.