The DUO line from Instant Pot is one of the most popular on the market due to its multi-use functionalities and affordable price. However, before you decide on buying one of the available models, it’s important to understand the differences and similarities.
For instance, the DUO line promotes four sizes, with the DUO 50 and the DUO 60 in the middle. Still, while the two pots are quite similar, there are some differences that you may want to know. As such, I put together this Instant Pot DUO 50 vs DUO 60 comparison where, after I review both models, I will tell you which product is best suited for your needs.
DUO 50 vs DUO 60 Comparison Table
Instant Pot DUO 50 Review
This model uses 3rd generation processing technologies that monitor food preparation and is made of food grade stainless steel that is easy to clean and maintain. Furthermore, the multicooker is equipped with a 3-ply bottom for even heat distribution and ensures a fully sealed environment that traps flavor and nutrients in the pot.
As a result, the food is healthier, tastier, and looks better than when you’re using a regular pot.
Like all DUO products, this is a 7-in-1 design that features functions such as pressure cooking, slow cooking, rice cooking, sauté and browning, steaming, warming, and yogurt making. Moreover, the DUO 50 comes with 14 built-in programs that help with the preparation of the following dishes: Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté, Steam, Rice, Porridge, Multigrain, Slow Cook, Keep-Warm, Yogurt, Pasteurize and Fermented Rice (Jiu Niang).
All the functions and pre-set dishes mentioned above can be accessed using the control panel located in the front of the pot. The panel is equipped with buttons and an LCD screen that displays important settings such as pressure level and time.
As with all DUO models, the pot provides a delay cooking time feature of up to 24 hours, automatic keep-warm of up to 10 hours, manual keep-warm of up to 99 hours, and a 2 hour maximum cooking time. 10 safety mechanisms are also in place to ensure that no accidents or damage to the pot and the kitchen occur.
Lastly, the IP-DUO50 comes with a rice paddle, soup spoon, measuring cup, steam rack, condensation water collector, user manual, and recipe booklet.
- It is part of the most popular line from IP
- Can replace 7 appliances in the kitchen
- Comes with 14 pre-set dishes
- Has a built-in microprocessor that monitors cooking
- The control panel is easy to use and understand
- It has a capacity of 5qt
- It comes with the standard 10 safety mechanisms
- The seal in the lid retains odors
- The size of the pot is not big enough for large families
- There’s a bit of a learning curve for beginners
- Duo 5 Quart, the number 1 selling multi-cooker, combines 7 kitchen appliances in 1, Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Marker and Warmer, prepares dishes up to 70% faster to support your busy lifestyle
- Features 14 Smart Programs - Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté/Simmer, Rice, Multigrain, Porridge, Steam, Slow Cook, Keep Warm, Yogurt, Manual, and Pressure Cook. Now, your favorite dishes are as easy as pressing a button
- Healthy, stainless steel (18/8) inner cooking pot made from food grade 304, no chemical coating, 3-ply bottom for even heat distribution, fully sealed environment traps the flavours, nutrients and aromas within the food
- Built with the latest 3rd generation technology, the microprocessor monitors pressure, temperature, keeps time, and adjusts heating intensity and duration to achieve your desired results every time
- UL and ULC certified with 10 safety mechanisms to provide you with added assurance, designed to eliminate many common errors
Instant Pot DUO 60 Review
The DUO 60 is ranked as the #1 pressure cooker on Amazon, which makes it arguably the best instant pressure cooker out there on the market. The pot is more or less like the IP-DUO 50, featuring the same high-end material, design, and functions.
The main difference is in size, as the DUO 60 has a capacity of 6 quarts, a full quart of content more than the DUO 50. Also, the pot is designed to be more energy-efficient compared to IP-DUO50’s energy consumption.
This means you’ll only get to notice the difference when you’re cooking a full pot of food. So, if you usually prepare food for a large family, the IP DUO 60 is more suitable. Otherwise, the smaller version may be the best option.
Just like the smaller version, the DUO 60 is a well-designed electric multicooker that can be used to replace 7 other appliances in the kitchen. As such, besides pressure and slow cooking, the pot also cooks rice, steams, sautés, and keeps the food warm for as long as you need it to.
The control panel is a bit different, but it’s not difficult to understand and use. It features the same type of buttons (easy to press) and the same LCD style. Furthermore, the pot is constantly monitored by a 3rd generation microprocessor that adjusts the settings to deliver the best results.
Lastly, the pot is equipped with the standard 10 safety mechanisms that are common by now in the DUO series. Also, the pot is delivered with a nice set of accessories that are dishwasher safe (steam rack with handles, serving spoon, soup spoon, and measuring cup).
- The most popular DUO model
- 6qt capacity
- Energy efficient
- Food grade materials
- Easy to clean and maintain
- The food is rich in nutrients and flavor
- The front panel is easy to understand
- It can replace 7 appliances
- Standard 10 safety mechanisms
- Removable cord
- The cord is a bit short
- The steam release valve is manually operated
- Accessories and gasket retain odors
- Best selling model: America’s most loved multi cooker, built with the latest 3rd generation technology, the microprocessor monitors pressure, temperature, keeps time, and adjusts heating intensity and duration to achieve desired results every time
- Cooks fast and saves time: The Instant Pot Duo multi-cooker combines 7 appliances in one: Pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, saute pan, yogurt maker and warmer – and cooks up to 70% faster
- Consistently delicious: 14 one-touch smart programs put cooking ribs, soups, beans, rice, poultry, yogurt, desserts and more on autopilot – with tasty results
- Easy to clean: Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel lid and components and accessories are dishwasher safe
- Plenty of recipes: Free Instant Pot app on iOS and Android devices is, loaded with hundreds of recipes for any cuisine to get you started on your culinary adventure. Millions of users provide support and guidance in the many Instant Pot online communities
Which One Should I Buy?
Now, I understand why deciding between the two can be difficult. After all, they are part of the same series, and the main difference is in size.
So, here are my thoughts after having reviewed both:
Choose the DUO 50 if…
- You don’t cook in large quantities
- You want a popular multicooker but don’t want the mini model
- You want a multicooker that’s easy to use and understand
Choose the DUO 60 if…
- You want a model that’s highly acclaimed by most users
- You cook for a medium to large family
- You care about your energy consumption
- You intend to use the multicooker a lot
Overall, both multicookers come with great features, but the DUO 60 is the most popular. The size is ideal for a regular family, and you can always choose to cook less food than the maximum pot capacity. However, if you fancy the smaller size, you still get to enjoy the same cool features!