If you want to cook delicious and healthy meals in the shortest time possible, pressure canners will be your most favorite kitchen equipment and your best cooking partner. Using a pressure canner helps you save time and energy. Some pressure canners can reduce up to 70 percent of cooking time.
Moreover, using a pressure is more efficient because cleaning time is also lessened. With its secure-lid design, whether gasket or metal-to-metal, you prevent water and oil from splashing all over your stove.
However, there are many items to choose from and finding the perfect pressure canner could be overwhelming. Here at CorrieCooks.com, we love to make things easy for you. We will review top two brands of pressure canners and help you decide which one to buy.
All American Pressure Canner
Since the 1930s, the Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry has manufactured All American Pressure Canners. Its manufacturer claims that the All American line offers the best and safest home canning method. The All American brand features an exclusive, precision machined “Metal-to-Metal” sealing system. This ensures that canned products are tightly sealed, but can be opened easily. Through its special sealing system, the All American Pressure Canner makes it easy to can fish, meat, vegetables, and fruits. All models of the brand feature a readable pressure gauge for accurate pressure control.
- Professional quality, extra heavy duty cast aluminum construction throughout for fast & even heating
- Stay-cool bakelite top handle
Geared steam gauge
- Equipped with 2 automatic venting features which provide an extra margin of safety (the safety control valve & overpressure plug)
- Pressure regulator weight with settings of 5, 10 and 15 psi
Smooth, easy to clean satin finish
- Double thickness edges for additional protection on points of heaviest wear
- All American pressure canners are manufactured and intended for home canning use only. Do not use for commercial applications.
- The 10-quart and 15-quart should not be used for canning fish.
- The 30-quart and 41-quart models are heavy and can cause damage to cooking ranges.
- Do not use on glass top and flat ranges. Always check your home range manual for capacity.
- Sturdy, heavy gauge aluminum construction
- Does not require a gasket
- Flexible pressure settings for different food types
- It is the best pressure canner on the market
- Material is heavy. Not suitable for glasstop and flat ranges.
- The most expensive pressure canner brand
Mirro Pressure Canners
The Mirro Aluminum Company has been manufacturing aluminum cookwares since 1909. For over a century, the Mirro company’s cookware sets became a staple of American home kitchens. According to the manufacturer, their pressur canner models are fast, economical, safe and easy to use.
Many buyers get confused with a home cooker and canner. A canner should hold at least 4 quart jars which means the interior volume should be at least 10-quarts in size. Anything smaller than a 10-quart pot is called a pressure cooker. A home cooker is used for cooking meals, while a canner is used for canning processes.
- 4-Quart Pessure Cooker
- 6-Quart Pressure Cooker
- 8-Quart Pressure Cooker
- 16-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner
- 22-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner
- Quick even heating
- Rust proof & dishwasher safe
- Polished heavy gauge aluminum construction
- Cuts cooking time up to two-thirds
- Pressure monitoring device built into handle
- Locking handle safety feature prevents opening under pressure
- Includes overpressure release valve and gasket release window for safety
- Pressure control clearly identifies when proper pressure has been reached
Only the 16-quart and the 22-quart models can be used for home canning. The other models are best used as home cooker.
- Excessive pressure is released automatically by the side gasket.
- The lid locks tightly thus preventing cases of the lid flying off when pressure is high on the inside.
- The heavy-gauge aluminum material ensures uniform heating of the cooker and makes pressure build-up with ease.
- The cooker uses a gasket for pressure release. Gaskets are disadvantageous since they can fly loose or sometimes they may not fit securely on their spot thus impacting on whether you build pressure or not.
- Small holding capacity.
Which pressure canner to buy?
Pressure canners come in different sizes because different homes have varying needs. It is important that you know your specific requirements to get the most out of your pressure canner investment. Ideal for home use are 16-quart to 23-quart pressure canners. Any product smaller than 14 quarts should be used as a cooker only and never as a home canning equipment
Also, it is important to follow prescribed canning capacity for each pressure canner. By doing so, you will be sure that each jar is canned correctly and food is preserved properly. Some users had been complaining that their jars got broken only to find out that they did not follow the instruction manual and canning capacity
No doubt, the All American pressure canner, manufactured by the Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry, is regarded as the best in terms of quality. The All American canner comes with a metal-to-metal seal between the lid and the cooking pot. This eliminates the need to replace the gasket after wear and tear. The All American canners are made with heavy industrial gauge aluminum. This brand is committed to quality by manufacturing durable canners that last for generations. However, quality such as this comes with a premium. The All American is also the most expensive.
On the other hand, Mirro pressure canner is the most affordable brand. It also offers the same basic features of most pressure canners.
Depending on your need and budget, you can easily pin down which brand to buy. Just keep in mind your specific requirements and follow the user’s manual correctly to ensure the best use of your home pressure canner.