Both the Duo Nova and the Duo Plus are directly derived from the classic Instant Pot Duo series that everybody loves. As such, they feature roughly the same shape (although different sizes) and come with similar accessories.
Still, while they both are formidable pressure cookers with impressive features, there are notable differences that must be thoroughly investigated before making a purchase. So, if you are currently undecided between these two products, I think my Instant Pot Duo Nova vs Duo Plus comparison will be quite helpful.
Don’t forget to also check out my final conclusion, where I offer insight into who I believe is the best customer for each of these two great Instant Pots.
Duo Nova vs Duo Plus Comparison Table
Instant Pot Duo Nova Review
The Instant Pot Duo Nova is close in design to the Instant Pot Duo classic since it features the same 7-in-1 cooking system. As such, Duo Nova is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, a saute dish, steamer, rice cooker, food warmer, and yogurt maker. This means you can free up some counter space and reduce the number of appliances stored away in your kitchen cabinets. Not to mention reduced energy consumption, since Instant Pot Nova is energy efficient and cooks food faster (up to 70%) than a standard stovetop.
The frontal control panel is similar to the one used on the Instant Pot Duo classic, so it’s quite easy to get used to it. The one-touch buttons are easy to activate and the design is intuitive enough so even people who have never used an electric cooker before can have fun with it.
Unlike the classic Instant Pot, Nova comes with an upgrade – the Easy-seal lid. This lid automatically seals the pot for pressure cooking (closes the steam release valve), so you don’t have to worry about whether or not you closed the valve. Furthermore, it comes with a quick-release button, so you don’t have to open the valve by hand once the pressure cooking process is complete. These features make the Instant Pot Nova best for beginners who feel a bit wary about using an electric multicooker for the first time.
Of course, Nova comes with the same security features every Instant Pot has (10 safety mechanisms) and has 13 timed cooking programs that allow users to set things up and let the pot do its job without much supervision. In addition, the pot has a Delay Start option that lets you set the time when you want the cooking to start. This way, you can prepare everything, set the timer, and move around the house without worrying about lunch or dinner time.
As you’ll get used to the pre-set programs, you can explore with ingredients and customize the settings for pressure and temperature. Users also get access to 1000+ recipes (using the Instant Pot app) and a very friendly community that gathers Instant Pot users from all over the world.
Lastly, the other thing that Nova brings different to the table is its size availability. This design is available in 3, 6, 8, and 10 quarts designs, which makes it an option for any type of household.
- Available in a large variety of sizes
- Ideal for beginners
- 13 timed cooking programs
- Easy-seal lid with steam release button
- Delay Start & Keep Warm functions
- Can replace up to 7 kitchen appliances
- Stainless steel inner pot
- Dishwasher safe accessories
- There is a bit of trial and error at first
- The condensation cup pops off a bit too easy
- The outer rim is a bit difficult to clean
- Best for beginners: An upgrade to the all-time bestseller Instant Pot Duo series, the Duo Nova combines 7 appliances in 1: Pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, saute pan, food warmer, and yogurt maker. The 6Qt model is the most popular size, with a capacity to cook for up to 6 people – if you’re on the fence about which size is right for you, you can’t go wrong with the 6Qt
- Healthy & consistently delicious: Duo Nova is powered by a sophisticated micro-processor that monitors and adjusts pressure, temperature, time, and heat to cook food up to 70% faster than other methods and deliver consistent, delicious results every time
- Smart lid: The new easy seal lid gives you one less thing to worry about because it automatically seals your Instant Pot. Steam release is also a breeze with the fast, safe push of the quick release button. And it even comes with a bonus sealing ring
- Worry-free cooking: 10+ safety features with UL certification let you “set it and forget it.” You’re free to do other things while the Duo Nova cooks your dinner safely and quickly, with minimal mess and easy clean up. The Duo Nova’s food-grade stainless steel 304 (18/8) cooking pot is dishwasher-safe and durable, with no chemical coating.
- Clear, simple controls: Elegant blue LCD intuitively indicates the cooking process of the multicooker. Convenient one-touch control of 13 programs can be customized to remember the way you like to cook
Instant Pot Duo Plus Review
The Duo Plus is a more advanced Instant Pot design with 9-in-1 features, 15 one-touch smart programs, and an Easy-seal lid. In addition, it also has a Sous Vide program and can be used for sterilizing (which is why many parents prefer it).
Unlike Nova, the Duo Plus is only available in the standard sizes (3, 6, and 8qt), and the 3-quarts size model only has 13 one-touch smart programs (it lacks the Cake and Beans/Grains programs).
As such, the Instant Pot Duo Plus is an electric pressure cooker that can also be a rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, sauté pan, food warmer, stockpot, cake maker egg cooker, sterilizer, and sous vide. Just like Nova, it has Delay Start and Keep Warm functions and customizable pressure and temperature. Still, the control panel is a bit larger and more complex than with standard Duo designs.
Just like the IP Nova, Duo Plus is equipped with 10+ built-in safety features (including overheat protection, safety lock, and easy-seal lid). In addition, the stainless steel and plastic accessories are dishwasher safe, and the outer pot is easy to clean.
- Can replace up to 9 kitchen appliances
- 15 one-touch smart programs (for 6 & 8-quart)
- Easy-seal lid & 10 safety measures)
- Sous Vide program
- Cake baking program
- Access to the IP online community
- Delay Start & Keep Warm functions
- A bit more expensive than standard models
- The control panel is a bit more complex
- The gasket catches odors
- Upgrade from duo: Instant Pot Duo plus is the updated duo. Duo plus upgrades include the easy seal lid to automatically seal when pressure cooking and a cooking progress indicator, so you know when cooking begins.
- Cooks fast and saves time: The Instant Pot Duo plus multi-cooker combines 9 appliances in one: pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, saute pan, egg cooker, yogurt maker, warmer and sterilizer – and cooks up to 70% faster
- Consistently delicious: 15 one-touch smart programs put cooking ribs, soups, beans, rice, poultry, yogurt, desserts and more on autopilot – with tasty results
- Easy to clean: Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel lid and components and accessories are dishwasher safe
- Plenty of recipes: Free Instant Pot app on iOS and Android devices is, loaded with hundreds of recipes for any cuisine to get you started on your culinary adventure. Millions of users provide support and guidance in the many Instant Pot online communities
Which Model Is Better for Me?
Now that we’re at the final conclusions section, let me tell you a bit about my view when it comes to these two Instant Pots. First, I want to highlight that I like them both – each product has its own features, and it’s great users have that many options.
On the other hand, it can also get confusing (and a bit frustrating) if you don’t understand the differences. After all, they sort of look the same and cook food using steam pressure, right?
Well, if you look closely, there are differences, and I’m here to highlight them.
Choose the Duo Nova if…
- You are a beginner at cooking with an electric pressure cooker
- You prefer the simpler-looking control panel
- You don’t want to invest too much
Choose the Duo Plus if…
- You want access to more advanced cooking functions
- You can handle the larger control panel
- You want to try cooking Sous Vide
- You don’t mind the slightly bigger price
In the end, the conclusion is rather simple: if you are a beginner and don’t want to dive in too deep into the world of electric pressure cookers, I recommend starting with the Nova. On the other hand, if you’re experienced or simply want more advanced functions, try the Duo Plus. Both products have great features and will help reduce kitchen clutter and messiness.