Value is a tough thing to determine, particularly in stovetop pressure cookers. This time around we will be comparing two cookers from the same company and line to try and show you a potential alternative to one or the other that you may not have considered beforehand.
This article will be comparing and contrasting the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Top Model and the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Family Efficiency model. Both of these cookers are in the same line so they are similar. Yet, they are different enough in price, and in function to warrant a comparison.
Hopefully, this article will give you more insight into these products and help you make a more informed purchase in the future.
Let’s take a look at these two cookers and some of the main differences you may find at first glance.
Duromatic Top Model VS Duromatic Family Model: What’s the Difference?
While both of these cookers are a great addition to any kitchen, some people may find that these cookers seem a bit overpriced for what they offer.
That being said, what makes them different?
- Both of these cookers come in 3 sizes, the Family models being comparatively larger than the Top models.
- The Top model has the ability to cook much faster, and thus is more energy efficient.
- The Family models are more expensive than the Top models.
- The Family Models are induction top safe and are large enough for parties.
Those are the most notable differences between the two. For most families, if you are intent on buying one of these I would have to recommend purchasing one of the family models because of their comparatively larger size than the Top models.
Having said that, for any aspiring chefs, the Top model will be a great addition to your kitchen as it cooks fast, and is small enough to store easily while still making decent size dishes.
Now let’s take a look at each of these individually and see just what each of them have to offer. Starting with the Family model.
The Kuhn Rikon Family Model
These cookers are a wonderful addition to any family because the 18/10 steel it is made from has an aluminum core that allows the heat to spread evenly throughout the pot.
Not to mention that there are five built-in safety systems to prevent overpressurizing. You won’t have to worry about this one causing issues in the kitchen.
Let me list the sizes and their benefits.
- Has a bit of a saucepan like appearance to it.
- Spring-loaded precision Valve.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Auto lid-locking function
- A drawback; more expensive than the largest of the Top models, as are the rest of these.
- Induction top safe.
- 10-year warranty
- This cooker, as well as the 12-quart, was manufactured in Switzerland
- An Aluminum Core as above.
- This cooker is NOT dishwasher safe.
- Five pressure safety systems in place to prevent mishaps.
- This cooker is induction top safe.
- Considerably more expensive than the other two.
- This cooker serves up to 11 people per pot.
- It is induction top safe.
- This cooker also has the Five safety systems in place.
- An aluminum core for even cooking.
- This cooker includes a stainless steel steaming plate.
- This is also not dishwasher safe.
So all of these cookers are quite large and can feed quite a bit of people. This makes them great for throwing parties or weddings of the sort.
As I stated, however, these are well more expensive than the top models, but for how many they feed at once, I think they are worth it.
If you are looking to throw lots of parties or have a large family, this one will make a great and efficient addition to your kitchen.
The Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Top Model
The Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Top model is one of Kuhn’s less expensive models of pressure cookers and is arguably the one worth the most. It features many of the things the family model does as well as some added additions
- This cooker features 5-way safety locking on the lid so you don’t have to worry about it popping off.
- A new method of pressure release keeps things quiet.
- Cooks much faster than the Duromatic Family model.
- a 10-year warranty.
- Comparatively cheaper than most of Kuhn Rikon’s cookers.
- Still expensive, even for what it offers.
- The lid still has the potential to unlock during cooking.
- Too small to cook for a large number of people very quickly.
As I said it has three different sizes like the Family model
- 3.5-quart model.
- 5-quart model.
- 7-quart model.
These sizes aren’t too large but compared to the family model they are still cheap for the sizes offered.
Whether you’re an aspiring chef or just someone alone who is tired of eating instant food, the Duromatic Top stovetop pressure cooker is a great addition to your home.
It saves space, is dishwasher safe, and cooks quickly and well.
While I definitely think both of these cookers are great, for most people I would side with the top models.
They are considerably less expensive, they save space, and they can do what the Family models can do in a fraction of the time.
Now if you are someone who throws parties a lot, I would probably recommend the Family models as they are very large and can serve a lot of people in just one cooking cycle.
However, these cookers are considerably more expensive than your average cooker and it will take a lot more than a polished look and a few fancy functions to really make me choose these cookers.